Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4853 Discussions

Intel X710-DA2 "device will not start" Server 2008 R2

DGarn1
Beginner

Just got this card (replacing a 520 that was behaving badly), and put it in an older Dell 2970 server. Device is recognized but the driver will not start. I have tried multiple versions of the driver (20.7/20.4/19.0) all to no avail. Device shows up but i get the dreaded yellow exclamation mark. This occurs with or without SFP+ modules inserted. In the event log it just says that the device won't start and to download the latest driver. If i use an old driver i also get "the nvm is newer than expected" error, and if i use the latest i get "the nvm is older than expected". I tried to update the nvm using the tool, but the tool reports "access error" and "device not found". The one oddity about this server is that it is an AMD Opertron based server. I have seen compatibility issues in the past with other things...perhaps this would also fall into that category?

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi dgarner58,

Thanks for contacting Intel.

As per server specs, it appears that the Intel X710-DA2 Adapter is not listed as supported part. This is why you are getting issues even when installing using different driver versions. Please refer to website below: http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/poweredge-2970/pd PowerEdge 2970 Rack Server Details | Dell

Sincerely,

Sandy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi dgarner58,

Thanks for contacting Intel.

As per server specs, it appears that the Intel X710-DA2 Adapter is not listed as supported part. This is why you are getting issues even when installing using different driver versions. Please refer to website below: http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/poweredge-2970/pd PowerEdge 2970 Rack Server Details | Dell

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
DGarn1
Beginner

Thanks @Sandy_Intel! That would explain why the 520 was working..sort of. It would crap out on large file transfers. That's why i got the 710 to try. The 520 works fine in day to day but if you try to copy a large file the NIC would reset and disconnect/reconnect. Couldn't get that figured out.

0 Kudos