Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel X710 R630 with i40en driver on vmware problem

TK_
Beginner

Hi there,

we are experiencing problems with the X710 series R630 Intel NIC built-in within our Dell server (running ESXi version 6.5.0 / build number 7388607).

As for the i40en driver version:

Driver Info:

Bus Info: 0000:01:00:0

Driver: i40en

Firmware Version: 6.00 0x800034ef 18.3.6

Version: 1.4.3

Just yesterday we had another outage with a lot of upset customer calls, so this issue is rather urgent. I have seen the blog entry for a i40en driver update for 6.7 installations, but that doesn't help our specific case.

Can you at least give us an ETA for the driver update for 6.5 installations? As mentioned above, it's pretty urgent as we can not have any more outages like yesterday. Please advise.

Thank you in advance!

Best

Tommy

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Tkne_its,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. I am sorry to hear what happened. Just to double check if you are referring to the driver posted at the thread

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/wired/blog/2018/05/23/malicious-driver-detection-mdd-event-resolved https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/wired/blog/2018/05/23/malicious-driver-detection-mdd-event-resolved

Looking forward to you reply to better assist on this.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

Agent under contract to Intel

0 Kudos
TK_
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

thank you for the quick reply.

Yes, that's the one I talked about in my OP.

What concerns me is this part:

Note: Drivers that address the MDD issue for ESXi 6.0 & ESXi 6.5 will be available in a future release.

Can you elaborate on "future release" please? Are we talking days, weeks or months?

Thank your for your assistance!

Best

Tommy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Tkne_its,

Thank you for the clarifications. We will have to further check.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
TK_
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

thank you. I'm anxiously awaiting a positive answer.

Best

Tommy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Tkne_its,

I am sorry to inform you the update I have is there is no information yet about the release date for the ESXi 6.0 and 6.5 driver.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
TK_
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

thank you for the update.

The situation we are in with this NIC is already very frustrating as is, but not knowing when to expect the driver update to drop, doesn't make that better.

I mean this is not a minor issue and I'm positive quite a few other people have this very same problem.

Can you please advise us on what our options are at this point?

Thank you!

Best

Tommy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Tknet_its,

Thank you for the reply. I understand this is not a positive news for you for the meantime, can you share additional information for us to better check:

1) Understand you mentioned there was outage, how did you identified this is the issue about the driver?

2) Are you using Intel retail network adapter or OEM network card from Dell*?

3) Provide the exact issue encountered.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
TK_
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

sure, I can do that.

1) we discovered log events stating Malicious Driver Detection mentioning all paths down and the driver i40en. If it wasn't for that, we would not have noticed the card is the issue here, as the card remained in an up state.

2) OEM from Dell

3) As described under 1). If you need more info, please let me know what exactly you would need, thank you.

Best

Tommy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Tkne_its,

Thank you for the clarification, let me further check.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
TK_
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

appreciate it, thank you.

I hope this issue can be resolved as soon as possible.

Best

Tommy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi TKne_its,

Currently please continue to monitor this thread for updates on the MDD driver issue, once there is update, it will be posted therein.

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/wired/blog/2018/05/23/malicious-driver-detection-mdd-event-resolved https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/wired/blog/2018/05/23/malicious-driver-detection-mdd-event-resolved

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
TK_
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

thank your for the reply.

So basically this means there is no solution as of now, beside waiting for the driver release? That's a bummer.

Thank you for your time though, appreciate it.

Best

Tommy

0 Kudos