Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Intel X710 Supported Uplinks and Operating Systems

Reuben_Farrelly

I've recently managed to get access to an Intel X710-DA2 card and for the meantime I am using this in a high end desktop PC. It will likely move to another server in the future but for now I'm testing it out on a decent workstation.

I've run into a few problems, which I'll summarise as questions, since these answers may explain some of the behaviors I am seeing.

I'm running the Intel Driver Connection CD 20.0 and have updated to the latest NVM image that was included in that zip.

1. Is this card supported under Windows 8.1 and/or Windows 10 ? What should the device be showing up as - I am seeing one port as "Intel(R) Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710 # 2" and the other one as "Intel(R) Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710-2". It looks like the latter is the one which I can edit the configuration for in Device Manager - so assume that the -2 is actually the primary port. The other port is showing up with a ! in Device Manager - with a Code 10 error (this could be caused by the choice of SFPs though - see questions below)

2. Is the Avago ABCU-5710RZ Copper SFP supported for use in these cards? It's supposedly supported in the 82599 based cards, was support dropped in the X710s?

3. Is the Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU3M= which I believe is a standard Twinax Passive SFP+ cable, supported for use in this NIC?

4. Can I mix and match any of the above SFPs - ie have a 1G SFP and 10G Twinax running simultaneously?

5. Can I hot swap SFPs? They're hot swappable on the switch side - not sure if that's the case on the NIC side though.

NB: I also have an E10GSFPSR installed which is working great at 1G (the far end is only a 1G SFP at this stage...so I have to force the link to 1G) so I don't have reason to believe that the card is faulty.

Thanks,

Reuben

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Reuben,

Thank you for your post.

Please find answers to your questions below:

1. This card supports Network Operating Systems, such as Windows Server 2012 and 2008 R2.

2, 3 and 4 - The modules and cables you're using is not supported. We have listed the supported modules and cables in http://www.intel.ph/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/ethernet-xl710-brief.pdf Product Brief.

5. I'll have further check if modules are hot swappable or not. Will update you on my findings.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
Reuben_Farrelly

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your reply.

The Product Brief you have linked to is for the XL710, not the X710 card. The X710 doesn't have 40G QSFP ports so the supported modules in that document don't apply in my case.

I have just come across http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/x710/sb/CS-035281.htm Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710 Series — Which SFP+ Modules, SFP Modules, and Cables Can I Use with the X… - which seems to cover the supported modules. Now it appears based on that, that the Cisco Twinax is compatible with SFF-8431 so I guess it should work (although if you have reason to suggest it won't work I'd be very interested to hear).

Is it likely that we could see the 1G Copper SFPs supported in the future or is this a hardware limitation?

Reuben

SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Reuben,

Thank you for replying. I see you're inquiring about X710 and not XL710 model - my mistake.

Yes, Cisco* Twinax cable would work with this adapter since it is compatible with SFF-8431.

Let me share with you thehttps://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/network-adapters/converged-network-adapters/ethernet-x710-brief.html Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapters X710 Product Brief.

With regards to your inquiry on 1G Copper SFP+ modules, it is likely that it will work with this adapter. Since we do not manufacture 1G Copper modules, there are third party companies manufacturing these modules performs tests for compatibility with our adapter. Just like what we have for Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X520 Series. Please refer to the link below:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-030612.htm Which SFP+ Modules, SFP Modules, and Cables Can I Use with the X520 Series?

Hope this is helpful. Feel free to contact us again if you have further inquiries.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
Reuben_Farrelly

Thanks for your help Sandy, closing this off as correct.

0 Kudos