Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel X710-T 10GB Copper NIC network wire disconnected after Windows Updates??

Audi911
Novice

Hello,

First time posting here. I'm normally very capable of solving issues but this one has stumped me. I'm unsure what the issue is.

I have 2x Intel X710T4 Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710-T4 10Gigabit Card X710 NICs on 2 identical servers (HP DL380 G10).

Yesterday I did windows updates on both servers, and I rebooted one of the servers (the second one is pending reboot which I have not done yet)

After the reboot the NIC card is displaying Network Cable disconnected. I looked in my storage (my QNAP) and everything is showing as connected there. Windows Device manager is showing the cards as working properly when I install the latest version of the Intel NIC (1.16.202.8) which I downloaded here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19372/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-server-2019.html  everything seems to work fine. There are no errors during the install the card installs fine and it says it's working as expected.

I manually did the installation of the driver using this file 

C:\Wired_driver_27.8_x64\PRO40GB\Winx64\NDIS68 <-- According to the readme this is for Windows 2019.

However, the network cable is unplugged according to Windows.

Server 5.jpg

Since it was not working what I did was I uninstalled the drivers and it no longer works with the old drivers. I get this error

intel 2.jpg

My other working server (that has not rebooted yet looks like this.

intel 3.jpg

For the sake of testing I broke the 10GB Team to understand if this is related a Team but things still do not work. My 4x 1GB Team continues to work on the problematic server. 

For reference this is the version of Windows I am using

Server1.jpg

Here are the updates I applied to the machine yesterday

Updates.jpg

Has anyone ever come across this? 

Is this a known issue with this card?

Should i uninstall the patches that were installed yesterday?

Thank you very much in advance I appreciate the help!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Audi911
Novice

Hello! 

Anyone have any insight on this?

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Audi911,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Are you using a PCIe X710 card or is it embedded on the board?
  2. Does the LED in the LAN port light up when you connect the LAN cable?
  3. Have you tried different driver version just to check if that will work?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Audi911
Novice
Hello Mike,
Hope all is well.
Yes everything is lit up as normal. It's the PCIe model.
This card has worked perfectly fine up until I did windows updates yesterday.
I have not had a chance to uninstall the updates yet on the affected server.
As you can tell by my screen shots the affected server rebooted and faces this issue whilst the second server with the identical config is still functioning normally
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Audi911,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Can you send photos of the network card on both sides for us to validate if the network card is not an OEM unit?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Audi911,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just sending a soft follow up on the information that we requested for us to further assist you. We will wait for your reply. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Audi911
Novice

Hello!

I apologize for the delay I was not able to reply until now.

I went to my client and I performed many tests. I believe that the card is problematic. When I reboot the server from time to time I am only able to get port 1 and 3 functional, port 2 and 4 no longer work. No matter what driver I put or what combination of cables I use (going into different ports on the switch, a different switch entirely, new cables, CAT7 cables, CAT6a cables) I can no longer get the card to work. I suspect it is faulty because the card has worked perfectly after several reboots for over a year. 

I ordered 2 brand new cards I should be getting them soon, I am going to tinker with this card on a different system when I replace it. 

I don't have photos of the actual card in the system but this is the card I purchased (it is this actual card)

Intel Back.jpg

Intel front.jpg

Thanks!

  

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Audi911,

Thank you for the reply. I am trying to check the photos that you provided however it is not clear. I cannot read the markings for me to validate the unit.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Audi911,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just sending a soft follow up on the information that we requested for us to further assist you. We will wait for your reply. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Audi911
Novice

Hello Michael, 

I'm waiting for the new card to come in. Once the new one comes in I will take the defective one out of the system and send better photos.

On a side note, what warranties do these network cards have?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Audi911,

Thank you for the update. Can you tell us when can you take the photos for me to know when to make another follow up?

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Audi911,

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Audi911,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending another follow up on the information that I requested. Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos