Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Intel X710-T2L: One port shows as X710-T2L and the other is reported as X710-TL

Abhi
New Contributor I

I recently bought an Intel X710-T2L card from Provantage, I see that in the UEFI/Bios of my SuperMicro system, Windows 10 and even Linux (tried Ubuntu) one port reports as an X710-T2L and the other reports as a X710-TL. Is this normal?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Abhi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can you double check if you are looking at your X710-T2L. Because there is a possibility that the other network card is the on-board network card of the board. Can you send some screenshot?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
Abhi
New Contributor I

Thanks for the reply. The only onboard network on the SuperMicro M11SDV board is an Intel i350 Gigabit controller with 4 ports, and all 4 ports report as expected in Windows 10 and the Bios/UEFI.

The X710-T2L is a dual port card (1 port shows as X710-T2L and the other as an X710-TL). I have no other X710 series cards installed, just one.

I will get a screenshot tommorow, I am using the unit as a pfsense firewall so I cannot boot into the Bios at the moment without disrupting the network.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Abhi,

Thank you for the update. I will wait for your screenshot. If you can also provide the picture of the X710-T2L focusing on the markings on both sides for me to validate is also. That would be helpful in our investigation.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Abhi
New Contributor I

I actually managed to get it now as I could afford some down time. As you can see from the Bios/UEFI image the first four ports are from the onboard Intel i350 Gigabit controller. The last two ports are from the Intel X710-T2L card, as peviously mentioned. Also I updated from the 7.21 to 7.30 firmware and still the issue exists.

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 8.01.22 PM.pngIMG_0504.pngIMG_0503.png

0 Kudos
Abhi
New Contributor I

Here is a screenshot after running pciconf -lv in my pfSense firewall. You can see below the 4x Intel i350 ports have the same identifier as one would expect. However with the Intel X710 T2L card there's a difference in identifiers between its two ports.Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 1.14.04 PM.png

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Abhi,

Thank you for sending the information that we requested. Let me further check this and update you once done. Please give us 3 to 4 working days to further investigate.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Abhi,

By the way, while checking on this issue, let also ask the following questions.

1. Did the issue only happen after the Firmware update to 7.3?
  2. Any errors encountered during the Firmware update?
  3. Aside from this, are you encountering any connection issues with the second port?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Abhi
New Contributor I

Thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it.

This issue occurred even on the original 7.2 firmware as mentioned previously. Updating did not solve it nor were there issues while upgrading.

One problem this has caused is a device detection issue in a newer beta version of my firewall distro and importantly it seems Windows 10 tries to install two different drivers for the 2 ports. Granted you can go to device manager and choose the T2L driver for the port listed as TL and it allows that. I'm not sure what the driver differences are but I would expect some sort of quality control and consistency in labeling.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Abhi,

Thank you for quick response. I need to further check this and update you once done. Please give us 3 to 4 working days to further investigate.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Abhi,

Thank you for being patient for our update.

Upon further checking, I am sorry to say that there is no workaround and no fix for this issue. We really apologize for this. Please check our explanation below:

Implication: No functional impact to the device or drivers. However, this might impact the branding of the device if the Subsystem ID is used to select the device branding string.

Workaround: None. Status: B0=Yes, B1=Yes; No Fix

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Abhi,

I am just sending a follow up to check if you still have clarifications. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos