Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel X710 and Cisco SFP 10G DAC

AeHandasa
Beginner

Hello,

I have a strange issue getting Cisco SFP+ DAC cables to work with Intel X710 adapters!

I got two series from the supplier BUT same part number SFP-H10GB-CU5M

One of them is working perfect and the other no!!!!!!!

After connecting them to Cisco switch, it displays just a difference in VID, please checkbelow:

#show inventory
NAME: "Te1/1/6", DESCR: "SFP-10GBase-CX1"
PID: SFP-H10GB-CU5M      , VID: V02  , SN: TED1628C2EW                       ---> this is the working one

NAME: "Te1/1/8", DESCR: "SFP-10GBase-CX1"
PID: SFP-H10GB-CU5M      , VID: V03  , SN: LRM19449283

I made upgrade to server bios, intel i40e and i40en drivers and upgraded X710cards firmware to v19.5.12: But without any change, still one of the DACs is not working and the other is working fine!!!

Please help fixing this issue if there is some patch or urgent update to apply.

Regards
0 Kudos
15 Replies
AeHandasa
Beginner

Anybody from Intel can help?

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Aehandasa,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

Our X710 adapter is only compatible with Intel branded SFPs. For more information, you may check this page, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007045/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html.

Although there are some reports that other brands worked after they upgraded the firmware, the reports are unconfirmed and varying results may happen.

Did this SFP worked before? If the other one worked and this one did not are you able to test another model of this one?

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AeHandasa
Beginner

Hi Alfredo

Thanks for reply. I don't know if you got my point or not!

Tow cables has same part number!

Two cables are genuine!

Two cables are complying with the SFF-8431 specifications as per Cisco website [https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/data_sheet_c78-455693.html#Regulatoryandstandardscompliance]

So, I believe there is some whitelist or something for Intel cards to allow specific DAC cables and need to be updated as the non working cables are manufactured in 2019 but working one is 2013!

Please escalate the issue to higher level in technical team to check update for Intel drivers of firmware to solve that strange issue.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Aehandasa,

Thank you for sharing more information on the issue.

The link that we have provided you are really the ones that were validated to work with the card that you have.

Since you mentioned that the 2013 version works, please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this.

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AeHandasa
Beginner

Alfredo,

Again, tried another cables Cisco FSP+ 3M, one worked, other not !!!!!

Please check Cisco switch output:

#show inventory

NAME: "Te1/1/1", DESCR: "SFP-10GBase-CX1"
PID:                    , VID:      , SN: 422330878   ---> THIS ONE IS WORKING

NAME: "Te1/1/2", DESCR: "SFP-10GBase-CX1"
PID: SFP-H10GB-CU5M , VID: V02 , SN: TED1628C2EW

NAME: "Te1/1/4", DESCR: "SFP-10GBase-CX1"
PID: SFP-H10GB-CU3M , VID: V03 , SN: MOC1917A2S8

NAME: "Te1/1/6", DESCR: "SFP-10GBase-CX1"
PID: SFP-H10GB-CU3M , VID: V03 , SN: MOC2052A99N

NAME: "Te1/1/7", DESCR: "SFP-10GBase-CX1"
PID: SFP-H10GB-CU3M , VID: V03 , SN: MOC1941A3MK

NAME: "Te1/1/8", DESCR: "SFP-10GBase-CX1"
PID: SFP-H10GB-CU3M , VID: V03 , SN: MOC2049A5TY 

It's totally not logic to search market for old manufactured cables to get them work with Intel X710 cards.

Waiting for your valuable reply.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Aehandasa,

Thank you for providing more information.

We will continue checking this, although to set your expectations we cannot guarantee that we can find an answer for your concern, as we already have the validated list for this ethernet card, as we have referenced from this page, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007045/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this.

We will get back to you no later than 4 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AeHandasa
Beginner

Dear Alfredo

As per Intel, DAC cables XDACBL1M/XDACBL3M/XDACBL5M are EOL. 

So I believe Intel has to find a solution for connecting DAC from other manufactures and update Intel SFP+ cards Firmware/Drivers to accept other brands, Or why Intel manufactured SFP+ cards and DACs from beginning !!!

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Aehandasa,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

Our engineers started to check on your concern, and they noticed that you are using Dell OEM versions of the X710 cards based on the firmware version that you have applied. Dell cards have different NVM firmware than Intel cards and support different modules. Since the firmware is Dell released, our engineers are asking if you have already tried getting in touch with Dell regarding this one?

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
AeHandasa
Beginner

Alfredo,

Thanks for reply. I will contact DELL and get back to you with their outputs.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Aehandasa,

Thank you for your response.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Aehandasa,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to carry out the recommendations that we have provided.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AeHandasa
Beginner

Thanks Alfredo, 

Yes DELL is checking the issue and gathering some logs for investigation.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Aehandasa,

Thank you for your response.

We will just do a routine check with you after 3 business days to check if you need more time.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Aehandasa,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to provide the information that we asked.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Aehandasa, 

We need to close this thread since we have not gotten a response from you: maybe because you are busy or preoccupied at the moment. We know that this is important for you to get it resolved and it is also equally important for us to give you the right solution; as much as we would like to assist you, we need to close it to attend to other customers. We hope for your consideration and understanding on this one.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Thank you for contacting Intel® and have a great week!

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos