Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Intel XXV710 non-synchronous speed

RTSadmin
Beginner

Hello,

I have an issue with XXV710 network controllers in Windows Server 2016/2019 environment. The bandwith is not synchronous i.e. I can reach ~8-9Gbit/s when I copy the data from server A to server B but I get only ~2,5-3Gbit/s when I copy the data from server B to server A. Many servers/NICs are affected. The settings of servers seem to be identical.  All NICs are discrete genuine Intel devices with fresh firmware and drivers installed. No QoS policy is set. 

I performed many tests of iPerf and SMB copy using few TCP streams with no luck. Tried both direct connection and through 10G Ethernet switch.

You can find attached the SSU scan output from affected servers. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello RTSadmin,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please allow us to check first both SSU log files that you have provided before we provide you our recommendations.

Would it be ok if we can ask you to provide us between 2-3 business days for this? Once we have all the information that we need we will notify you immediately. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello RTSadmin,

We do apologize for the bit of delay on providing a response from your concern. As per checking on the 2 SSU log files that you have provided, your both using the same setup.

SSU-srv15

Intel(R) Ethernet Network Adapter XXV710

Part Number:"J48306-003

Driver Version:"1.16.62.0"

SSU-srv16

Part Number:"J48306-003

Please try using one of our article on "Tuning Throughput Performance for Intel® Ethernet Adapters" and see if this helps to increase the performance and make the bandwidth of your servers more synchronous to one another. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005811/ethernet-products.html

If this still does not help solve your concern please advise us and if you have other concerns as well.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
RTSadmin
Beginner

Hello Zig_M_Intel,
Thanks for your response. 
I tried to follow the steps described in the link above. 

1. Ensured that NICs are installed in PCIe 3.0 8X sockets and all PCIe capabilities are allowed in BIOS.

2. Disabled Interrupt Moderation

3. Disabled Flow Control

4. Increased Transmit buffer size and Receive bubber size to 2048

But the testing with iPerf multistream still reveals abnormal network functioning with asymmetric speed.

SSU output from another pair of affected servers is attached. Any thoughts are welcome.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello RTSadmin,

Thank you very much for advising us and for providing another SSU logs, we will be needing to further check on this. Please provide us some time to check before we can provide you our recommendations. 

Would it be ok if we can ask for another 2-3 business days for this? If you have a preferred date instead please advise us. Thank you and have a nice day! 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello RTSadmin,

As per further checking on your SSU log's on the 4 systems that you provided us, only SRV2 has the latest driver version 26.8, the rest are having version 26.6. Can we request for you to try updating these 3 servers to version 26.8?

We also noticed that your BIOS versions are not identical as well. Please check with SuperMicro for the latest FW of the server boards and try updating them to the latest version as well.

Drivers installed in 4 servers:

SRV2

BIOS Version/Date:"American Megatrends Inc. 3.4 , 10.06.2021 12:00"

System Model:"X10DRi"

Driver:"i40ea.sys"

Driver Date:"09.28.2021 12:00"

Driver Version:"1.16.139.0"

ETrackID:"0x8000B703"

Part Number:"J48306-003"

SRV3

BIOS Version/Date:"American Megatrends Inc. 3.4a , 08/16/2021"  

Driver:"i40ea68.sys"

Driver Date:"09.04.2021 12:00

NVM Version:"8.80"

SRV15

BIOS Version/Date:"American Megatrends Inc. 3.4 , 10.06.2021 12:00"

SRV16

System Model:"SYS-6018R-WTR"

BIOS Version/Date:"Not Available"

Once you have updated the drivers and BIOS of the server boards, please check if it will improve the performance. If not, please do advise us as soon as you can.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello RTSadmin,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We would like to know if you have already tried our recommended actions which is; updating your drivers and BIOS and if your servers are now synchronous and improved its performance? Please do advise us.

We'd also like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello RTSadmin,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos