Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Intel i218-v promiscuous mode failure

SSchm8
Beginner

Hello,

some sort of bug report. To whom it may be of interest :

No ping between host and guests ( but from and to any other node ).

Works when switching to a rtl8169 chip.

Details : Windows 7 pro 64bit host with intel nic driver 12.13.17.4 from 2015-06-18.

VirtualBox 5.0.4r102546 ( emulating 'intel pro/1000 mt desktop (8254oem)' ),

promiscuous mode for host and all guests.

CU - Stefan Schmohl

0 Kudos
9 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Scido,

Thank you for the post. Can you clarify is the I218 the onboard NIC on another device that is used to captures packets for the host and guests on the host system?

Can you provide more detail about the network setup?

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
SSchm8
Beginner

Hello wb,

yes, "physically" it's a 'asRock h97m pro4' with 'intel i218-v' onboard. In a simple '/24' subnet ( let's say 10.0.0/24 ). But no, I didn't try to capture network traffic.

I had to replace an old installation. Hosted inside the new installation, I transferred the old setup into a virtual machine - to keep old settings and missed data accessible to the user. Static address 10.0.0.10, on an emulated nic with network bridge to physical device. So it should be able to access network shares on the new system, 10.0.0.1 ( static ). Gateway / router 10.0.0.254, other nodes, one 10.0.0.2 ( dhcp, but static lease ).

From '.2' I can ping both nodes accessible via the 'i218-v', '.1' with mac-address of device ( according to arp table ), and '.10' with mac-address defined inside VirtualBox. Also, I'm able to ping '.2' from new host and from old guest installation. But '.1' does not see '.10' and '.10' does not see '.1' - so no access to network shares.

However, arp-packets seem to find their way. On both host and guest there is an entry of the other node.

And switching 'vlan and priority' off or setting

lm\system\*controlSet*\control\class\{4d36 e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-0800 2be1 0318}\007\MonitorMode = x 0000 0001

( with ...\007\ComponentId = 'pci\ven_8086&dev_15a1' ) didn't help.

cu - Stefan

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Scido,

Thank you for the info. Let me check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi scido,

Good day. After reviewing your setup, please confirm if I have the correct understanding of your setup. Given .2 was able to access 10.0.0.10 (i218-V). possible to compare the setting of .1 and .2?

Thanks,

wb
0 Kudos
SSchm8
Beginner

Hello wb,

packets from .2 arrive at interface 'intel i218-v' by ethernet cable and are passed to bound 'VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver'. ( And "behind" this driver emulated NIC for virtual machine .10 is implemented. )

Packets from .1 reach interface via bound 'internet protocol version 4' and are not passed to 'VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver'.

'.2' is also a 'win 7 pro 64bit' system with an 'intel 82567lm' - but I can reproduce the behavior with any cable-separated node and any virtualized guest - amongst others a bootable linux '.iso'.

cu - Stefan

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Scido,

Thank you for the info. I will check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Scido,

Based on your setup if you are able to connect to the host of the .10 virtual machine and the issue occurred only connects to the virtual machine, can you check on the vitual box forum if there is any similar issue and possible fix?

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
SSchm8
Beginner

Hi WB,

now solved.

Already had checked VirtualBox support with keywords like guest, host, accesible, reachable, unavailable, and I218. Anyway, responding your suggestion, I visited it again and now came across reports about problems in early 5.0 versions. Related to network bridging but only arising in particular environments and with varying symptoms.

So I tried latest 4.3 version and the newer 5.0.6 version in a test system - and they both worked flawlessly with the I218v network interface ( - as version 5.0.4 did with the Realtek 8169 chip - for whatever reason ).

Thank you

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Scido,

Glad to know issue is resolved and thank you for the update.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos