Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel i225-V not raising the physical link over GigabitEthernet

mngxx
Beginner

Hello,

I just built a new system using an AMD B550 motherboard (Asus ROG Strix B550-i) which uses an Intel i225-V Ethernet adapter. I was very disappointed to see that the network card has such critical issues that it can't raise the physical link over Gigabit Ethernet.

Before we lose time with basic questions - as I'm a network engineer:

• I've tried both the driver from my mb's vendor website and the latest Intel driver
  • I'm using a Cisco Catalyst switch on the other end, which I can manually configure and use to test scenarios; from my tests, the link is not going up over gigabit ethernet in any case - Auto-negotiation enabled/disabled on both ends etc. The only way the physical link goes UP is when I manually set the interface on the Cisco switch to speed 100.
  • I've tried the same switchport and RJ45 cable with another host using a Realtek NIC - no issues there, link went UP on 1000Mbps
  • I've connected the Intel NIC to another device and set both ends to auto-negotiate, the link comes up only on FastEthernet

I can't tell you how disappointing it is to use FastEthernet in 2020, Intel....

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello mngxx,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We apologize for the inconvenience that this might have caused on your end.

For us to check on your request, kindly provide the following information.

1.) Please share the exact model of your Cisco Catalyst switch.

2.) What is the current Firmware version of your Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V?

3.) Kindly provide Intel® System Support Utility log from your system. Refer to the link below on how to extract the logs.

Help Guide for the Intel® System Support Utility

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/software/software-applications.html

Awaiting to hear from you.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive any reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
mngxx
Beginner

Hello,

The switch model is WS-C2950T-24; my tests were performed connected into port Gi0/1.

The current driver is 1.0.2.6.

I've attached the SSU log.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello mngxx,

Thank you for providing the information requested.

Before we further check on this issue and the logs shared, can you confirm if you already tried the steps from the link below to help in fixing the problem?

Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

For the specifics on how to update the NVM, we highly suggest contacting Asus support as the NVM package should be supplied by your manufacturer. 

Please see link below for the list of Computer Manufacturer Support Websites

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html

Here is official support site of Asus

https://www.asus.com/us/support/

We hope to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
mngxx
Beginner

Hello,

I've contacted Asus, asked for the NVM update and provided as much and as thorough information as I could. 

One thing to note that I forgot mentioning, when I shut my PC down, the link suddenly comes UP (probably wake on LAN setting) which clearly indicates that there's no physical/hardware issue, it's a driver/software issue.

I've also read your release notes on driver ver 1.0.1.4 - that is advertised on the Asus support website for this board - and one of the fixed issues in the release notes sounds similar to my issue:

Downshift link speed to 10M/100M (EEE only) when the system in ACPI Sx (i.e. S3, S4 and S5)

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello mngxx,

Appreciate your swift response.

While we are further checking on this request, can you share ASUS' feedback with us when you mentioned that you contacted Asus about this issue?

Awaiting to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Jeneral_Pain
Beginner

My thread has basically the exact same issues and symptoms.

Re: Re:Intel I225-V on Asus Z490 with IPv6 - Intel Community

It screams a problem with the i225-V chipset! 

0 Kudos
NotImpressed
New Contributor I

I have contacted Asus as well about my Z490 E board because of terrible packet loss, Asus does not know what to do at the moment and has asked me to wait while they find out more information regarding the I225-V problems.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello mngxx,

Good day!

Please be informed that this request has been escalated for further investigation. Rest assured that we will provide an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello mngxx,

I hope you are doing good!

We sincerely apologize for the delay on this matter as we are thoroughly checking on this. Please give us more time to look into this. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as there is any findings but not later than 2-4 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello mngxx,

Apologies for the delay on this matter. 

Will you be able to configure the following settings and check if it will help in fixing the issue?

On Device Manager > Network Connections > Right click the Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V and choose "Properties"

Then change the following under Advanced tab

Energy Efficient Ethernet - Off

Interrupt Moderation Rate - Low 

Receive Buffers - 1024

Transmit Buffers - 1024

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business day.

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
mngxx
Beginner

Hello,

It's still the same behavior.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello mngxx,

Thank you for the reply and trying out the recommended steps.

We are sorry to hear that you are still having the same issue after with the steps provided.

SW driver package 25.6 is now available for downloads. Will you be able to try it out to check if it will help in fixing the issue?

Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack

Version: 25.6 (Latest)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/

Looking forward to hear from you.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out via phone after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mngxx,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to carry out the recommendations that we have provided.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
mngxx
Beginner
It's the same with the latest driver as well.

Asus has not said anything either. Can Intel provide me the latest i225 chip firmware?
0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mngxx,

Thank you for your response.

To confirm, are you referring to the NVM Firmware when you are asking for the latest i225 chip firmware?

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
mngxx
Beginner
Yes. Asus has not answered or provided the firmware.
0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mngxx,

Thank you for clarifying this one.

For firmware of built-in ethernet adapters such as the one that you are using, you can only get the firmware from your manufacturer. It is them who customized the firmware based on how they designed the adapter with the board.

According to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html, there is a huge probability that your issue maybe fixed after updating the firmware, so we strongly suggest to get back to ASUS to get the firmware update.

We hope for your understanding regarding this one.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mngxx,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to assess the answers that we have provided.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello mngxx,

Good day!

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mngxx,

We sincerely apologize for the delay on our update. Kindly see below details for the feedback from our engineering team. 

Our testing shows that users will receive Windows Update (LAN driver) notice if we use 2-part ID in Windows Update driver resell option.

This is not the expected result and we are planning to revoke this option in Windows Update.

Once it is done, users will not receive the current LAN driver update(V1.0.2.6) request from Windows Update.

In parallel, we are also working on this topic with Asus.

Rest assured that this request is still under investigation and we will get back to you as soon as we heard additional update from our engineers.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos