Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel i350 can support 1000BASE-ZX or not

tggam
Beginner

I would like to know if 1000BASE-ZX SFP+ is supported on Network Card using i350-AM4 chip.

I can't find anything about 1000BASE-ZX being supported in the i350 documentation, does anyone know? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello tggam,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed, let me check if you are designing a system or board with embedded i350? And why would you like to use the i350 with 1000BASE-ZX SFP+?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
tggam
Beginner

Hi Michael 

Thank you for answer 

We are using a network card with i350 chip embedded in it

In general, we use SFP modules for LX, SX.

However, our customer asked if it is possible to use the 1000BASE-ZX SFP (https://www.infinity-electron.com/datasheet/c9-FTLF1518P1BTL.pdf). 

So first at all, we would like to know if there is support for 1000BASE-ZX on the i350 chip. Of course,

I plan to purchase a 1000BASE-ZX SFP and test it. 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello tggam,

Thank you for the quick reply. We have a link that discusses SFP+ Modules with Intel Ethernet cards like i350. You may check this link and you may get some idea about your question.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000038078/ethernet-products.html

However, you mentioned that a network card with i350 chip embedded in it. Can you share the brand and model of the network card? They may have a different list of supported complements including SFP+ module so it would be best if you can contact them regarding your inquiry.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
tggam
Beginner

Hi Michael 

Since it is a Network Card development and manufactured separately in Sourth Korea, it is not a general-purpose product.
May I know if there is some kind of logic that i350 recognizes according to LX, SX, ZX, etc.?

Our NIC manufacturers also know that LX support or not depends on the i350 chip, so I wanted to check it out.

Is there any document that can clearly tell about the items supported by the i350 as shown below X Series?

(It seems that the X710 chip is clearly marked as not supporting 10Base-ZR.)

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/release-notes/xl710-ethernet-controller-feature-matrix.pdf

tggam_1-1629348998396.png

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello tggam,

Thank you for the update. As for your i350 card, the details that we have is the link that I provided in my previous post. And also, for Intel retail cards, we rely on the compatibility list and 3rd party SFP+ module usually do not work with Intel retail card. In your case to avoid trial and error since the main question is you are asking if your card supports 1000BASE-ZX SFP+, your card manufacturer is the best team who can answer that and you may ask them to provided a list of validated SFP+ module if they have a tested list.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello tggam,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just checking and hoping you are now talking to the manufacturer of your network card for further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
tggam
Beginner

Hi Michael 

Thank you for your support 

I will plan check with our NIC manufacture via test if we can use ZX or not 

Best Regards, tggam 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello tggam,

Thank you so much for the quick reply and update. Since you are now going to contact the manufacturer of the card for the supported module and cable. I need to close this thread now.

If you need assistance again in the future, please don't hesitate to post an new question.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos