Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

Intel network driver/connection???

CLete
Beginner

I am running a Vista machine and wanting to update to Windows 7.

The Upgrade Listed my Intel network driver as follows:

Intel(R) 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection Action Recommended: Before installing Windows 7, go to the device manufacturer's website to download the latest driver for this device. After installing Windows 7, install the saved driver.

I came across the Intel Driver Update Utility so I downloaded, installed and ran it. Please see screenshot for results.

I clicked on Download, but when it got to the end my next option appeared to be only to install (no save option) and since the recommendation was to install the latest driver AFTER installing Windows 7, I just aborted.

Then I went to the actual driver download center and typed in the Intel(R) 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection and the answer came back

There are currently no downloads available for Intel 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection

I am lost when it comes to things like drivers and normally don't mess with them so this has got me totally confused. I'm hoping someone will help me out because I better get things straight before I try to do an in-place upgrade of my Vista to Windows 7.

(I had no idea what to put in the box below that calls for place so I winged it.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Nikilet2,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

You can download the Windows* 7 driver for Intel 82566 Controller https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7- here.

You've got the error message maybe because you searched for "Gigabit Network Connection".

It should be "Intel® 82566DC Gigabit Ethernet PHY".

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
CLete
Beginner

Thanks for answering, Sandy.

What I typed into the search box was Intel 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection. It came back that there are currently no downloads available just like I showed in my original post. But then when I used that Driver Update Utility it showed the same driver which you gave me a link to, the Network Adaptor Driver for Windows 7.

Is that Network Adaptor Driver the same as this Intel 82566DC/a replacement for this Intel 82566DC?

The Vista Intel 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection will be replaced by the Network Adaptor Driver for Windows 7?

Do I have to uninstall the Intel 82566DC, or just go ahead and install the one for Windows after I have upgraded my Vista to Win 7?

Sorry I have so many questions but I am at a total loss about this driver business and scared of it to boot. I don't want to have spent the money to purhased Windows 7 and then have my computer completely messed up over a driver.

0 Kudos
CLete
Beginner

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my device manager and the Microsoft upgrade advisor both called this thing Gigibit Network Connection whereas you call it Gigabit Ethernet PHY, and to show you how little I know, if I were looking at these to me they would be two different drivers.

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Nikilet2,

Thanks for writing back.

When upgrading Windows*, I suggest to do a clean installation by formatting your Vista* system. This way, you don't have to uninstall the old driver version since formatting wipes out everything in the drive. Make sure to back-up your data first.

But if you have to upgrade from Vista to Windows* 7, you will have to uninstall Intel Proset Software but no need to uninstall the 82566DC driver.

Gigabit Ethernet PHY - refers to the chip itself. It is called Gigabit Network Connection once installed on Windows* or to a computer system.

For further assistance, you may call our support team. You can find the contact details http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html here.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
CLete
Beginner

I have to bother you again.

First of all, I have to do an in-place upgrade. You've thrown me a bit by saying I have to uninstall Intel Proset Software.

I've been doing a huge amount of reading, and also working with people on the Windows forum and no one has said anything about having to UNINSTALL any software before I can do an upgrade. I don't even know what Intel ProSet software is.

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Nikilet2,

The Proset Software is a software used for managing the network card. Check if you have this software installed on your Vista system by using the search option. If you don't have it, so no need to uninstall. You may proceed to upgrade to Windows* 7 then download and install the driver.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
CLete
Beginner

Hi Sandy

I'm hoping to make contact with you again. I have now upgraded the computer discussed in this post to Windows 10. Would I need to again upgrade this intel driver?

0 Kudos