Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4867 Discussions

Intel x553 vfio-pci support

infinitydon
Beginner

Hi,

Please I will like to confirm if vfio-pci can be used with Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X553?

I tried the following to bind it using dpdk-devbind.py (on the host directly):

root@proxmox-baremetal:~# ./dpdk-devbind.py -b vfio-pci 0000:07:00.0
[ 313.210908] ixgbe 0000:07:00.0: complete

But somewhere in DMESG the following error came up:

[ 559.634879] vfio-pci 0000:07:00.0: Invalid PCI ROM header signature: expecting 0xaa55, got 0xbeef

I also did a PCI passthrough of the same interface into a VM and tried to bind it:

root@proxmox-vm:/home/chris# ./dpdk-devbind.py -b vfio-pci 00:10.0
Error: bind failed for 0000:00:10.0 - Cannot bind to driver vfio-pci
Error: unbind failed for 0000:00:10.0 - Cannot open /sys/bus/pci/drivers//unbind
root@proxmox-vm:/home/chris#

0 Kudos
1 Solution
infinitydon
Beginner

Hi,

I have been able to resolve the issue, I ended installing upstream ubuntu distro.

Also inside my VMs, the following command was the only that made possible to able to bind the passed through interfaces to vfio-pci.

sudo echo Y | sudo tee /sys/module/vfio/parameters/enable_unsafe_noiommu_mode

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello infinitydon, 

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Kindly provide the following information that would help in checking your request.

1. Is the Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X553 embedded on the motherboard? If yes, kindly share the brand and model of the motherboard. 

2. Please share more details regarding your intended configuration. 

Unfortunately, Proxmox is not listed as validated OS for Intel® Ethernet Controllers (LOM). You may visit this link to see the list of Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Ethernet Controllers (LOM)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055236/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Looking forward to your reply. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
infinitydon
Beginner

Hi,

I have been able to resolve the issue, I ended installing upstream ubuntu distro.

Also inside my VMs, the following command was the only that made possible to able to bind the passed through interfaces to vfio-pci.

sudo echo Y | sudo tee /sys/module/vfio/parameters/enable_unsafe_noiommu_mode

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello infinitydon, 

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you have read our message. If yes, kindly confirm and provide the information requested for us to proceed checking your query.

Awaiting to hear from you soon.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello infinitydon, 

We are glad to hear that the issue has now been resolved. 

Since you already marked this thread as closed, please be informed that we will now proceed closing this request. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos