Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Internet dropping when using wired connection.

GAlve1
Beginner

Hi.

I've been having issues with my I219-V for a couple of months (I actually think it's been around 6 or 7 months).

DESCRIPTION:

My connection keeps dropping when I use applications that need a stable internet connection.

Communication apps like Discord, Hangouts or Skype, frequently happens that either I stop receiving the audio from the other people in the conversation OR they stop receiving my audio.

Games like Rocket League or other games over the internet keep dropping or freezing for a minute (AoE 2).

Streams also freeze for 30 seconds to a minute before they start playing again.

This only happens when I use a ethernet cable from the modem.

My hardware:

- Core i7 7700k

- Asus Prime Z270-AR

- 2x8Gb DDR4 Crucial Ballistix

- Corsair VX550 (previously), EVGA SuperNova 850 G3 (currently)

- Windows 10 Home

I've been trying a lot a different things to solve this issue, unfortunately I can only go around it but not fix it.

FIX ATTEMPTS:

- contacted my ISP and after some time they ran some tests and could not find a issue on their part.

- updated lan driver (from asus website)

- updated BIOS

- updated lan driver (from intel website)

- tested with a different ethernet cable

- changed the power options to "maximum performance" and disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

- formatted and reinstalled windows

- changed my boot drive (bought a new SSD)

- tested my memory sticks (memtest and trying using only one of them at a time)

- sent my motherboard to RMA and got a new one

- bought a new PSU

All of these "fixes" did not fix the issue. Only two things made it work correctly:

- Installing a Pci-e Wi-Fi adapter and connecting through Wi-Fi

- Connecting the ethernet cable from my notebook to my desktop and sharing the Wi-Fi from the notebook to the desktop through the ethernet cable.

- Tested the same ethernet cable from my desktop on my notebook, and it works perfectly.

I don't know what else to do. Contacting Asus they say the only option I have is to send it back to RMA and hopefully a new one (third motherboard) might not have this issue, but I'm not confident this will solve the problem.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Gabrielbask,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. I am sorry to hear what happened as I can see you have done a lot of tests and even replaced the board. Just to double check are you encountering same issue if using other brand of router?

Have you tried forcing the link speed of ther NIC to the same setting on the router. e.g. If you configure the link speed of the NIC to autonegotiation, the same setting should be applied also on the router.

You might want to adjust the Windows Fast startup to see if this will be of help:

Go to Control Panel-> Power Options-> Click Choose what the power buttons do.

Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.

Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup.

Click Save changes.

Please feel free to update me.

Thanks,

Sharon T

0 Kudos
GAlve1
Beginner

Hi, Sharon. Thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately I'm not able to test a different router, as my router is from my ISP, and I can't change it (the only way is to ask them to test the router, IF they find a problem they change it).

I tried setting my link speed to 1 Gbps (the router is gigabit) but I couldn't find the option to change it in the router, only on the computer. But it worked fine for a couple of months (5 or 6) before this issue showing up, so I find it hard to believe this might be the problem.

Removed the fast startup, but it did not fix the issue, I'm still losing connection on Discord today.

After a few days with a Wi-Fi adapter working flawlessly, connected back with the cable today for this test, and the problems came back.

At this point, I'm inclined to believe it is a hardware problem that I'm really unlucky to get two motherboards with the same issue, or it's a software bug from either Win 10 or the lan driver. But I'm willing to try anything to fix this before sending it back to RMA.

If there is any other suggestion, I'd really like to know, I'll try it right away.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gabrielbask,

Thank you for the update. You mentioned the router supports gigabit but can't find the option, you can try checking with the router support where you can change the speed setting. With regard to the driver, I would suggest you contact the board vendor for the customized driver since the driver available on our website is generic version. Try contact the board vendor again, please refer to below website regards to support option for Intel ethernet.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
GAlve1
Beginner

Thanks for the answer, Sharon.

I've tried two driver version from the Asus website before trying a Intel version. So that is not the solution.

About the router support, as the router is provided and owned by the ISP, they're the ones to provide support, and have been very lacking at it (done only a packet loss test).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gabrielbask,

Thank you for the update and I am sorry to hear what happened. What is the brand and model of the router?

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
GAlve1
Beginner

It's a Zhone znid-GPON-2426A

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gabrielbask,

Thank you for the information. I tried search on dasanzhone website (the router manufacturer) but unable to find much information. You may want to contact their support or inquire with your ISP about the setting in the router.

Thanks,

Sharon
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gabrielbask,

Please feel free to update me if you have contacted the router support and if further assistance needed.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
GAlve1
Beginner

Hi, Sharon.

I'm sending the motherboard to RMA again tomorrow. I can't get any decent support for the router, so I see no other options.

Thanks for your assitance!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gabrielbask,

You are welcome and thank you for the update. Hope the new motherboard will be working fine.

Regards,

Sharon
0 Kudos
GAlve1
Beginner

I've sent the motherboard back to RMA.

Nos problems detected.

Bought a external network card. Solved no problems. 10 minutes connected to discord the issue showed up again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gabrielbask,

Thank you for the update and I am sorry to hear what happened. I understand you have tried contacting the router support or Internet service provider, it would be best to further check with them since you have isolated the issue there is no problem with the board and onboard NIC. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon T

Intel Customer Support

Agent under contract to Intel

0 Kudos
GAlve1
Beginner

It seems like I finally got a solution. After all those tests, I made a packet loss test that showed me up to 85% of packet loss, and the ISP switched my router to a new one. Haven't had the same issue since then. I still consider it to be in testing though.

0 Kudos