Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

Is network adapter Intel X710-DA4 4-Port SFP+ compatible with Pleora eBUS driver or GigE Vision 2.0?

RW
Beginner

Dear Intel, dear community,

by now, we have not found an answer in the Intel NIC documentation as well as here in the community posts by now. Is the network adapter Intel X710-DA4 4-Port SFP+ compatible with Pleora eBUS driver or GigE Vision 2.0?

Hardware & OS: DELL Precision 5820T Base, Win10 LTSC (1809), updates from today installed after clean Win10 install (June 1, 2021), 1x Intel X710-DA4, Transceiver PowerEdge SFP+ 407-BBOK

This is my first Intel community entry. If something is missing, of course I will provide the necessary information. Looking forward for your reply. 

Thank you very much and appreciate,

Robert

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Robert,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can you please share more details or elaborate your intended configuration for us to further check your request?

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
RW
Beginner

Hello Crisselle, 

sure. We plan to connect 12-24x GigE cameras (GigE = 1 Gigabit image processing standard) as an image processing solution over a 15xx DELL swith to the Quadport card via transceiver (4x SFP+). This already worked with another network card which is not available anymore - from another vendor. Now I am trying to find out, if the Intel X710-DA4 Converged 4x SFP+ is also compatible with GigE.

In short, the connection line:    camera per Gigabit Port >> Switch >> 3x SFP+ >> Intel X710-DA4         (and 3x SFPs because of the amount of cameras ~ bandwith distribution). 

The Intel X710-DA4 seems to be compatible, but I am unsure:

The GEV SDK installation was successful. I can see all cameras in the configuration and call them separately in a specific setup only: the cameras need to be distributed over lets say 3x SFPs (3x VLANs configured on DELL switch), because only this way I can call them (open them in a camera SDK). Otherwise I either do not see them or cannot open them. What I do not know, which configuration I need to choose on the Intel-card to "connect" or merge all VLANs on the network card side. 

Today, I talked to Pleora and got feedback from the Engineering team about compabitility from Pleora side: 

"eBUS SDK should be compatible.  We have used the two port version, X520-DA2 with no problems. Generally an Ethernet NIC will work. The processing power to handle that kind of bandwidth is the challenge you’d be dealing with."

But I do not understand, how I can get all the cameras together in 1x merged VLAN. 3x separate are no solution, as we would like to use PTP / Precision Time Protocol and one cameras should be the PTP Master Clock - this works, other cameras of the first SFP+ also are "slaves". But the other cameras of course do not get the data if we have "clearly" separated VLANs. 

In the setup with the old network card, we had 3x VLANs, but tagged all cameras to each VLAN. With this, PTP worked and the traffic could be distributed over the SFP+ / VLANs. But now, I do not know, if there is an option to "merge" VLANs with Intel X710-DA4   ... or if the network adapter is really compatible with the desired setup.

Any hints, if Intel X710-DA4 is GigE 2.0 compatible and how I could "merge" three VLAN traffics on the network adapter side? 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Robert,

Your effort in elaborating the intended configuration is highly appreciated. This will be indeed helpful in investigating your request.

Please allow us to consult this with our engineers. Rest assured that we will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
RW
Beginner

Hello Intel Community, 

I know this is going beyond my question if the Intel X710-DA4 ist compatible with GigE 2.0 or/and Pleora GEV SDK. But I guess that many searching for this topic will also come to this question:

Is Intel X710-DA4 NIC teaming compatible and able to set Jumbo Packets to let's say 9014 bytes? 

With teaming I mean Win10 for example LTSC >> Powershell >> NetSwitchTeam ...  (New-NetSwitchTeam (NetSwitchTeam) | Microsoft Docs)

Thanks a lot and best regards, 

Robert

0 Kudos
RW
Beginner

Hello Criselle, hello Intel Community,

any updates if Intel X710-DA4 is GigE 2.0 compatible and when Teaming is active: can Jumbo Packets be set to 9014 bytes in a specific way?

I have found out that teaming is possible like this: Network Teaming Windows 10 - YouTube

But do not know how to set Jumbo Frames and VLAN ID. For GigE testing and reporting if that works / is compatible, this information would be very helpful. Is Jumbo Frames setting and VLAN ID possible using Intel X710-DA4's NIC Teaming under Win10 LTSC 1809 in a specific way?

What I know that there is Intel PROset, but as far as I know, this is not compatible with Intel X710-DA4 - am I right? 

This is the IntelPROset info: Intel® PROSet for Windows PowerShell* Software

I know that I should install the Win10 driver - these are NOT the correct once more X710: Download Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

... these ARE THE CORRECT once: Download Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack

X710-DA4 is stated not to be compatible with Intel PROset Drivers under Win10 LTSC, is that correct?

At least it is not listed here: Download Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10 (PROset)

Is there another way to set VLAN IDs for NICs so that packets are not filtered by the switch's VLAN ID (or to "allow" all packets)? 

If this would be possible, I think I could answer all other questions in that context and provide information for other users. 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Robert,

Good day!

This is just an update to inform you that we are still checking your request with our higher level support. We hope you don't mind giving us additional time for further investigation. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as there is any but no later than 2-3 business days.

We will also communicate your additional query to our higher level support for further checking.

Please also be informed that after checking, Windows 10 Operating system (OS) is not listed as supported OS for X710-DA4. No Intel drivers can be used/installed for this OS. You may visit this link for the list of Supported Operating Systems for Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

Hoping for your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Robert,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Please see below update from our engineering team.

As we previously advised, Windows 10 Client is not supported by X710-DA4. With this, it would be difficult to assist you with your intended configuration on an unsupported environment. We cannot guarantee if it will work as the operating system is not supported. Additionally, we do have OEM and Retail version of Intel Ethernet adapter. If the adapter is an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) version, you may try checking with the third party manufacturer if they can provide assistance as they are the best source of support.

You may also consider using X520 adapter as it has support for Windows 10 Client.

Sharing this link as a reference for the List of Supported Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005612/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-adapters-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Retail adapters also have authentication labels like Yottamark or BradyID stickers. You may check this link for more information regarding YottaMark* and BradyID* Stickers on Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007074/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-adapters-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications so we can further check on it.

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Robert,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just checking if you are now talking to the manufacturer of your card regarding this issue.

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications so we can further check on it.

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Robert,

Good day!

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

May you have an amazing weekend ahead and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
RW
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

we were waiting for the response and have not got any answer yet. May I assume that the X710-DA4 is not suitable to use with Win10 Enterprise versions (will be same with Win11 Enterprise) in a professional way for image processing purposes and VLAN configuration as desribed? 

We will then need to swith to another model / vendor Broadcom with which it is working. 

Kind regards,

Robert Witkowski

0 Kudos