Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Is soft TX_DISABLE via I2C the only option to disable TX on SFPs in XL710 Nic ?

YBask
Beginner

As far as I can see, there is no software defined pin (SFP) to control TX_DISABLE statistics. I wonder if soft TX_DISABLE via I2C the only option to disable TX on SFPs in XL710 nic. If so, it sounds bad as soft TX_DISABLE is optional and up to the SFP vendors to support it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi Yogaraj.Baskaravel,

You may refer to page 128 of 710 series datasheet for reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/xl710-10-40-controller-datasheet.pdf

As extracted here

"Typical SFP+ modules provide software or hardware control of TX_Disable and Rate Select (RS0/RS1) inputs. If software control

is used, the TX_Disable and RS0/RS1 bits can be accessed through the I2C interface. If hardware control is used for rate

selection, inputs RS0 and RS1 are tied together and connected to the same SDP output"

Hope this information help.

Regards,

Sharon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Yogaraj.Baskaravel,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. I will have to check on this.

Regards,

Sharon
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Yogaraj.Baskaravel,

You may refer to page 128 of 710 series datasheet for reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/xl710-10-40-controller-datasheet.pdf

As extracted here

"Typical SFP+ modules provide software or hardware control of TX_Disable and Rate Select (RS0/RS1) inputs. If software control

is used, the TX_Disable and RS0/RS1 bits can be accessed through the I2C interface. If hardware control is used for rate

selection, inputs RS0 and RS1 are tied together and connected to the same SDP output"

Hope this information help.

Regards,

Sharon
0 Kudos
YBask
Beginner

Hi Sharon!

Right. So there is no hardware control for TX_DISABLE of SFPs on XL710 and software control is the only option. That is bad as soft TX_DISABLE is an optional one.

Thanks for checking.

Best regards,

Yogaraj

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Yogaraj.Baskaravel,

You are welcome. Any other inquiries? Please feel free to update me. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon

0 Kudos