Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

Is there a Windows 10 driver for Intel(R) 82578DC? I have no internet after upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

MLowr1
Beginner

Is there a Windows 10 driver for Intel(R) 82578DC Gigabit Network Connection? I have no internet access after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have moved your post to the appropriate support team:

Allan.

CARL_W_Intel
Employee

There is no Intel released driver for this controller for Windows 10. The only option for Windows 10 is the MS supported in-box driver.

0 Kudos
MLowr1
Beginner

Carl - thank you for your answer.

Is it possible to get the MS supported in-box driver if I use the free upgrade from Windows 7?

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

Inbox drivers are native to the operating system (if the driver is supported in the OS). There shouldn't be a separate download for those from Microsoft's web site.

0 Kudos
MLowr1
Beginner

Hmmm. Can you dumb it down for me? When I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, my wired ethernet didn't work because there was no functioning driver for Intel(R) 82578DC Gigabit Network Connection. (I have a Gateway tower that is 5 years old bought from Best Buy.) I installed Driver Talent on a thumb drive following instructions to get an updated driver when I had no internet connection but it was to no avail.

How do I get a driver installed onto my machine that will permit my wired ethernet connection: Intel(R) 82578DC Gigabit Network Connection - to function with Windows 10?

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

To simplify, there is no 82578DC driver available for Windows 10 from Intel. Any driver support comes from Microsoft directly in what's called an 'In-Box' driver. This means that if there is basic OS support for the controller, Windows 10 will support it at installation. Microsoft makes the determination of which drivers they will include 'inbox'. For this controller (the 82578 family) we do not have Intel supported Windows 10 drive package.

I did check my personal copy of Windows 10 and did see the Intel 82578DC listed as a driver I could load. My recommendation is to remove the driver from device manager and try manually installing it. If it does not load correctly, you many need to purchase a new adapter with Windows 10 support.

0 Kudos
MLowr1
Beginner

Carl - thank you.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10 before removing and then manually installing the driver? And roll it back a second time to Windows 7 if no success (at which time I will purchase a new adapter).

Or do you think I should bite the bullet and buy a new network adapter? Any reason to stick with a wired ethernet adapter given that my desktop dates from 2010? Is there a way for me to determine what my Gateway system can accommodate?

0 Kudos
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

Microsoft may have an upgrade assistant available that can scan your system for supported hardware. If it flags your networking device as a limiting factor to the upgrade, you should purchase a new one.

Good luck with the OS upgrade!

0 Kudos