Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4862 Discussions

Is there a way to read the SFP SEEPROM data on all Ethernet adapters? ethtool does not work, see below using a X710 10GigE adapter with f/w 7.00, i40 driver 2.3.6, ethtool 5.

NSmit13
Beginner

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello NSmit13,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Kindly provide the SFP module you are pertaining on this request for us to check on your query.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
YKhan3
Beginner

Hi! I'm working with NSmit13, and here's a picture of our SFP module.

Yusuf

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Yusuf,

We appreciate your reply.

Please allow us to check on your query. Rest assured that we will provide an update within 1-3 business days.

Hoping for your patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Yusuf,

We apologize for the delay on this matter.

Kindly provide the markings of the X710 adapter. This would also help us in further checking your query.

You may refer to this link on where to find the PBA and serial number of the adapter.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
YKhan3
Beginner

Hi Crisselle!

We actually managed to find a solution to the issue. For future reference:

When working on SLES 11 SP3, with ethtool v4.5 and i40e v2.4.10, trying ethtool -m to read the EEPROM data failed, and said the module does not support the operation.

We switched to SLES 12 SP3, with the same version of ethtool and i40e, and then ethtool -m worked fine. We're not sure what caused the change or if there was a kernel dependency, but the OS update fixed the issue.

Yusuf

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Yusuf,

We are glad to hear the issue was now resolved.

Thank you also for sharing the resolution for this issue. This would be helpful to other users encountering the same problem.

Since the problem is now fixed, we'd like to double check if you have additional questions and clarifications regarding this request. In case none, please be informed that we will close this request at the end of business day. Should you have any other concerns or assistance needed in the future, feel free to post a new question and we will be more than glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos