Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Issue with HP DL380 Gen10 Server and xxv710-2 Intel Card

DTeam
Beginner

We have the same issue as https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004OMCUdSAP/issue-with-hp-dl380-gen10-server-with-intel-xxv7102?language=en_US&t=1576584907226

We have two xxv710-2 cards in slots 4 and 6, HP reports that the fimware on the cards is 1.1747.0. We have two servers in different locations, one being the "main" server and the other as a failover in case the other fails).

The servers have RedHat Virtualisation (latest version) and runs a highly tuned Fortinet firewall as a VM (using 4 VF's, two from each card). The fortigates are not setup as HA, but are managed and the routing is changed when the manager observes that a server goes down. We are using one as the "main" server and since being setup in this manner, this one stays up, with the "fallback" server falling over at no particular predictable time. The servers have been swapped over at a point, and the one being the "main" server does not exhibit the failure (i.e. it is always the "fallback" that has the issue.

The symptoms we have is that the VM's are turned off and the server resets itself and reboots. We can see the same errors as in the linked post. As far as the OS goes we see no errors as the server has reset (i.e. powered off).

I came across the attached post whilst trying to find the latest drivers, the HP SSP tool does not have any higher firmware for the intel card.

Any suggestions, is the firmware the latest as the numbers I have don't seem to relate to any numbers on the Intel Support site. Everything was built 2 months back with the latest and greatest versions.

Paul

0 Kudos
40 Replies
DTeam
Beginner

The versions were the latest when I installed - i40e is 2.8.10 (newest available from your link is 2.10.19.30), iavf is 3.7.53 (newest available from your link is 3.7.61.20) so there is the option of upgrading the kernel drivers as well - thanks for that. Upgrading isn't easy as I'm using the appliance version of RHV and the compilation of the packages requires c++ which isn't available for the appliance so it has to be compiled on a different machine and moved.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

We totally understand the situation and we apologize for any inconvenience that this might have caused.

Please allow us to continue to investigate on this issue. Rest assured that we will provide an update within 3-4 business days.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

Thank you for the patience.

After checking, the major change from 6.01 to 7.1 is the recovery mode. Other information can be found in feature matrix link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/release-notes/xl710-ethernet-controller-feature-matrix.pdf

Sharing with you the newly released NVM download for latest firmware version for your adapter. 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24769/Non-Volatile-Memory-NVM-Update-Utility-for-Intel-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-700-Series

Let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

Good day!

Please let us know if you were able to check our previous post. In case you have additional questions and clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
DTeam
Beginner

Hi

I've noticed that the 7.1 firmware has been rereleased so we are updating the firmware and drivers to the latest versions tonight. We are currently running using PF's on the hosted VM which we will continue to do so for a day or two and then swap back over to VF's so see if the updates have fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
DTeam
Beginner

Firmware/drivers have been updated. The linux nvmupdater utility did not work under RHV, so I ended up putting the driver files onto a spare filesystem, booting a centos iso into repair and then mounting the filesystem where I had put the files, then running from there (I'm putting this here so others could follow in my footsteps). Updates to the thread will follow.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

Thank you for the reply.

We will be waiting for your further update once you've tested the new firmware and drivers. We also appreciate your time and effort in sharing the steps you've done as this would be helpful to other users.

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

Please let us know if you were able to test the new firmware and driver for your adapter and kindly share the results with us.

Awaiting to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

Good day!

Please feel free to give us an update regarding this matter. If you have additional questions, please let us know.

Hoping to hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

How are you today?

We would also suggest to contact your manufacturer to request an assistance to update the system's BIOS as well as drivers to latest version and feel free to let us know of the results.

We look forward to your reply.

In case we don't hear from you, we'll follow up after 2 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

Good day!

Please let us know if you were able to received our previous post. We would highly appreciate if you can share some update regarding this matter.

We hope to hear from you soon.

We'll reach out after 2 business days, in case we don't hear from you,

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

How are you today?

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future.

Thank you for choosing Intel!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
DTeam
Beginner

I originally compiled the iavf driver to the wrong kernel version so had issues installing. I've had to recompile and will reinstall the newer drivers and will update this thread if this has worked.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

Appreciate your effort in sending us a reply. We will be waiting for your update on this thread and follow up after 5 business days to give you more time working on this.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

Good day!

We'd like to check if you have already recompiled and reinstalled the drivers? If yes, we would highly appreciate if you can share some updates.

Looking forward to your reply.

In case we don't hear from you, we'll follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
DTeam
Beginner

I've recompiled the drivers using the correct kernel version this time and last night installed them. udev this time could send a value to sriov_numvfs to setup the vf devices. Swapped over the VM to use VF's instead of PF's. Server crashed today.

I'm just seeing if this is related to a specific card (there are two) as we have a couple of spares I can use to swap out.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

Thank you very much for the reply.

While we are forwarding your observation to our engineering team, we will be waiting for your another update once you've swap out the card to check if the issue is related to a specific card only.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Should there be no response, we'll follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

Good day!

Please feel free to update this thread for the results of your test.

Awaiting to your reply.

In case we don't receive a reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

How are you today?

Please do not hesitate to send us an update in regards to this matter.

Looking forward to hear from you.

In case we don't receive a reply, we will follow up after 5 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DTeam,

Good day!

We'd like to check if you were able to do swap testing that you mentioned before to further isolate the issue.

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 5 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos