Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Issue with x520-DA2 with HP ML350 & D-link switch

David_Mathieu
Beginner

We just install 4 x520-DA2 on 4 HP ML350 (gen 8 and 9) on windows server 2019.

We have some issues like this:

16949 Warning Microsoft-Windows-MsLbfoSysEvtProvider System 26/02/2021 12:13:35
  27 Warning ixgbn System 26/02/2021 12:13:35

Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter X520-2
Network link is disconnected.

Do you know why we can have this issue and how to solve it?

=> we are using LACP teams why the adapters, but the issue is same with teams or not.

thanks for help,

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello David_Mathieu,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check and understand the issue better, please provide the following details.

1. What is the version of the driver installed?
  2. Can you provide the link of the driver used?
  3. Did you already update the firmware of your card?
  4. Can you generate the SSU and send it to me via direct message for us to check, Please download the SSU on the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?wapkw=ssu

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
David_Mathieu
Beginner

Hello,

1. What is the version of the driver installed?

4.1.229.0 (driver intel 26)

1. Can you provide the link of the driver used?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28396/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2019-

1. Did you already update the firmware of your card?

No, don't see any firmware on your site.

1. Can you generate the SSU and send it to me via direct message for us to check, Please download the SSU on the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?wapkw=ssu

Sent direct to you.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello David_Mathieu,

Thank you for sending the information that we requested. We are now reviewing the SSU logs that you provided.

By the way, can we also ask when did you start having this issue? And have you tried to move the the card on a different PCIe slot or tried the card on a different system?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
David_Mathieu
Beginner

Hello,

We just buy 4 cards for the serveurs.

Same issue on the 4 servers.

David MATHIEU

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello David_Mathieu,

Thank you for the quick reply. We need to gather the SSU even just for one server for us to further check the hardware configuration.

And also, have you tried to uninstall the old network driver and try to install the latest version again?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28396/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2019-

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello David_Mathieu,

Thank you for sending the SSU logs. We are still in the process of reviewing this logs. And also, I need to gather the following details:

1. When you install the latest driver, did you uninstall the old LAN drivers in the system and installed the latest one? If you haven't tried that, please try it.
  2. What is the brand and model of the cable used?
  3. What is the brand and model of the module or Transceiver used?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
David_Mathieu
Beginner

Hello,

I haven't any informations yet, I need to go to the server room in the next days to search information.

Thanks for waiting

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello David_Mathieu,

Thank you for the update. If you need more time, just let us know so that I can adjust my follow up date.

And we do understand that you can't just open the system up since the server is being used.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
David_Mathieu
Beginner

Hello,

1. When you install the latest driver, did you uninstall the old LAN drivers in the system and installed the latest one? If you haven't tried that, please try it.

Yes, we do it.

1. What is the brand and model of the cable used?

FS.COM 10m 10G SFP+ Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax Cable

P/N: SFPP-AC10

Product ID 40147

1. What is the brand and model of the module or Transceiver used?

No transceiver, Direct attach.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello David_Mathieu,

We have a recommended SFP+ cable for your Ethernet card. And as per the link below, other brands of SFP+ optical module will not work. for more details and the list of compatible SFP+ modules, please check the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005528/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello David_Mathieu,

I hope you had a great weekend. I just want to check if you already tried the validated cables and modules for your card.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
David_Mathieu
Beginner

Hello,

No, we don't try to use other cable because we don't have it. For information, we use same cards and cable in synology nas without any issue like this and when we try to exchange cable, same issue on servers.

do you think this issue can be specific with servers?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello David_Mathieu,

Thank you for the quick reply. The compatibility of the network card and the server will always depend on the server base on the cards that they tested. Can you tell us the model of the server? And have you tried asking them if they server system is compatible with X520-DA2?

I can also validate this card if you can send a picture on both sides of the card focusing on the markings.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
David_Mathieu
Beginner

Hello,

We use HP ML350 Gen8 and Gen9.

for the card, I can't do photo but I can give you information on the box:

Intel ETH Converged NTWK ADPTR X520-DA2

E10G42BTDA, SINGLE PACK

82599, 10G, DP, SR-IOV

VERSION E68797-009

MM#: 900139

Batch#: THCR0849BN

S/N: AEBE14300CRE68793009

David

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello David_Mathieu,

Thank you for providing the server system that you are using and the details of the markings of the Ethernet card.

Base on the part number, your X520-DA2 is a retail Intel card. For Intel retail cards, we always advise our customer's to use

validated components to avoid issues.

And regarding your question if this issue is specific to to the server. I cannot comment on that since you are using a 3rd party server. To better understand this, you may also ask HP on the validated Ethernet cards tested on their server.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello David_Mathieu,

I am just making a follow up to check if you already tried the validated cables/modules for your card.

And if you tried contacting the manufacturer of your server to know the compatible Ethernet cards?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello David_Mathieu,

I am just sending another follow up to check if you already tried the validated cables for your card and if you also tried contacting the manufacturer of your server system. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello David_Mathieu,

Before we close this thread, let me also add try to seek assistance from Microsoft and HP as this could be OS or motherboard related as the issue is encountered with or without teaming. This is to find the possible root cause of event ID 16949 and if your OS has already the latest updates. You can also check with HP if they are using the latest drivers and BIOS for your motherboards.

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos