Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

Issues with PXE booting when VMQ is enabled

idata
Employee

I have Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 with 2 Dual Port Intel 82576 Gigabit network cards. When I enable vmq and try to PXE boot I get PXE-E11 ARP Timeout. Also the error will continue to repeat until I cancel the PXE boot. However, if I disable the vmq settings while it boot or even before, it will successfully boot from PXE.

I have searched for this issue and cannot seem to find anyone else reporting this issue.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
idata
Employee

The new drivers worked!!! That is great!!! Thank you for keeping the Intel Team working on this issue. I now don't have to "waste" a single NIC port on one each of my Hyper-V cluster nodes.

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

Excellent. I will pass that along.

Thanks for using Intel Ethernet and visiting our blog.

- Patrick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Could it be an issue with Emulated v. Synthetic NIC. In MS System Center Virtual Machine Manager, I can not enable virtual network optimizations with the emulated nic. My question is how does the emulated nic function on an intel nic with vmq enabled? The emulated nic would not know anything about VMDq'ing, so how would it know which queue to respond to? Could that be the reason why PXE booting is not working?

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

we can report the same issue. It seems that vmq, vlan and legacy network adapter (emulated) for Hyper-V guests is not working together at the moment.

Our environment ist a 6-way Server 2008r2 sp1 Hyper-V Cluster with intel quadport et mezzanine cards connected to dell powerconnect 6348 switches.

We are using latest drivers and firmware from intel download page.

If we activate vmdq on the intel adapter, emulated vlan tagged nics stop working. They are still linking, but nothing else. This happens with trunk and general port mode on switch side.

Changing switch port to access and using untagged frames without vlan works for emulated adapters. Synthetic adpater in virtual guest work well with and without vlan. Only "solution" for us at the moment is to disable vmdq.

Trunking did not change anything in our setup. We checked without teaming and the modes static, lacp and vmlb. It seems to be a issue between vmdq and hyper-v emulated nics.

greetings Stefan

0 Kudos