Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4859 Discussions

Kernel mode heap corruption when setting untagged VLAN

KIvan10
Beginner

I've installed Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

version: PROWinx64.exe

My Laptop has adapter: I219-LM (as shown on the screenshots)

I'm trying to create few VLANs + Untagged adapter.

For example first new VLAN 120 and then new Untagged adapter.

However untagged adapter always results in blue screen: KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION.

Could you advice on this?

Regards,

Kalin

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kalin,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Please provide the following details for us to check on your request.

1.) Kindly share the exact Windows 10 build version you used. 

2.) You may also provide the System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91600/Intel-System-Support-Utility

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
KIvan10
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

1) Build version: Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.805)

2) The log: I will send it to you over message.

Regards,

Kalin

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kalin,

Thank for the quick response. 

Currently, Team and VLAN configuration are only supported using Intel® PROSet for Windows PowerShell* Software's cmdlets. This only applies to Windows® 10 Version 1809 (and later). 

You may refer to the steps below on how to create tagged and untagged VLAN using Powershell.

1. Open Windows Powershell as administrator.

2. Import the PROSet Powershell* module using this command: Import-Module -Name "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\IntelNetCmdlets\IntelNetCmdlets"

3. Type "Get-IntelNetAdapter" to display the name of your network adapter.

4. Type "Add-IntelNetVLAN" to initiate the creation of a VLAN.

5. PowerShell will prompt for VLAN ID

For tagged VLAN, type the desired VLAN ID.

For example: VLAN ID = 9

To create an untagged VLAN, type VLAN ID = 0

When prompted for "ParentName", you can use the name of your network adapter from the "Get-IntelNetAdapter" output.

You may visit this link for Intel® PROSet for Windows PowerShell* Software

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023545/network-and-io.html

I hope that the information above would be helpful to you. In case you have additional questions and clarifications on this matter, please let us know.

Awaiting to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kalin,

Good day!

We'd like to check if you were able to create untagged VLAN using the instructions above. In case you have additional questions and clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kalin,

How are you today?

Please be informed that we will now proceed in closing this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow up. In case you have any other concern or assistance needed in the future, please post a new question.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kalin,

Good day and I hope you are doing great!

Please also share the steps done to create VLANs for us to further check on this query.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
KIvan10
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Unfortunately there is the same problem with power shell.

I'm able to add VLAN 120 or VLAN 180 but when I try to add after that VLAN 0 -> PC crash with blue screen and the same kernel mode heap corruption error.

Regards,

Kalin

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kalin,

Thank you for the update.

We are sorry to hear that you are still encountering the same issue using powershell. With this, please provide the steps done to create VLANs for us to further check on this query.

Awaiting to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
KIvan10
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

In attachement you can see what I'm doing. I press enter in power shell to create VLAN 0 and after few seconds my PC crashes with blue screen.

Regards,

Kalin

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Kalin,

Thank you fro sending the screenshot. So after that, the system will crash?

Can you try to uninstall the driver and re-install it again and check if you will encounter the same problem.

If you will encounter the issue issue, please provide the following details.

1. What is the complete brand and model of your system?
  2. Are you using on-board Ethernet card?
  3. Please try to generate the Windows log for us to check the cause of BSOD.

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
KIvan10
Beginner

Hello Michael,

Yes, crash happens exactly after that. When I press enter (in few seconds)

What is the complete brand and model of your system?

Kalin: Dell Precision 7510

Are you using on-board Ethernet card?

Kalin: I guess so. It is a laptop.

Please try to generate the Windows log for us to check the cause of BSOD.

Kalin: I'm not so familiar with Windows logs. I copied some few minutes from Event Viewer's System logs. Hope this will be fine. I will send you logs via message.

Regards,

Kalin

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Kalin,

Thank you for sending the logs however, I cannot open it or I am just getting garbled characters in it.

By the way, since you are using a laptop. Have you tried Contacting Dell about this issue?

If they have altered the on-board NIC, they should provide a customer driver for your NIC.

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
KIvan10
Beginner

Hello Michael,

I don't know why you see garbled characters. I tried to open again the log with Event Viewer and it is shown correctly. I exported it also as txt file and send it again to you.

No, I haven't tried to contact Dell. This funcitonality was working fine on Windows 7 with Intel Pro driver taken from Intel's download page.

Later my PC was migrated to Windows 10. I got Intel Pro driver for Windows 10 again from Intel's download page and got a crash.

So my assuption is that Windows 10 Intel pro driver has a problem since it was working with previous version.

Regards,

Kalin

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kalin,

Thank you for the reply.

Can you share if you have tried to use the driver provided by Dell? We have managed to visit Dell website and found the latest driver (Version: 22.3.108.0) available on your system. We would suggest to double check this with Dell support as this is their website and try it out to check if it will help in resolving the issue.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/my/en/mybsd1/product-support/product/precision-m7510-workstation/drivers

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kalin,

Good day!

We'd like to check if you were able to try driver provided by Dell. We would highly appreciate if you can share an update on this matter for us to further investigate on the issue.

Hoping to hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kalin,

How are you doing today?

Please let us know if you have tried the driver provided by Dell and if it helps in fixing the issue. Please also confirm and check the link below if the issue you encountered is the same issue encountered by other users.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004W0ipF/i219lm-adding-vlans-result-in-bsod-on-windows-10-build-1803-with-intel-driver-on-hp-and-lenovo-notebooks

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
KIvan10
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Sorry my responses are delayed. However these tests that cause blue screen and PC reboot are interuppting my daily tasks. So i can not affort to restart my PC so often.

I tried to install latest dell ethernet driver: Network_Driver_D8VDT_WN32_22.3.108.0_A03.EXE

However no change. Actually even this time my system crashed when I created first VLAN 120.

Keep in mind that I still set VLAN with powershell as you describe it. There is no VLAN options avaialbe with dell driver (from ethernet adapter properties)

This question that you listed seems similar. Again same ethernet chip. And again was working fine on Win7 but when migrated to Win10 is not working. This was also my case.

This probably confirms that this is not Dell specific problem but look like the same issue is on HP and Lenovo.

Where you able to find something in the logs I provided?

Regards,

Kalin

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kalin,

We apologize for the inconvenience that this might have caused and we appreciate your effort in giving us an update on this matter.

It is normal that no VLAN tab was shown on advanced properties of the adapter as the Team and VLAN configuration are only supported using Intel® PROSet for Windows PowerShell* Software's cmdlets on Windows 10 1809 and later.

Currently, we are thoroughly checking on the logs you have provided as well as the other users who encountered the same issue. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as there is any findings but not later than 3 business days.

Hoping for your patience and kind understanding on this matter.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Kalin,

Good day!

Please be informed that we are still looking into this request and we are asking additional information from other customer who has encountered the same issue. We are sharing the forum link below in case you want to monitor the thread.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004W0ipF/i219lm-adding-vlans-result-in-bsod-on-windows-10-build-1803-with-intel-driver-on-hp-and-lenovo-notebooks

Additionally, we hope you don't mind sharing if you only have one system having this issue? In case you have another system having the same Ethernet controller and is working fine, we would highly appreciate if you can also share the SSU log extracted from it. That would help in further checking this issue.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
KIvan10
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Most of the people are using desktop PCs where driver is working fine. Exact same system I've found with one more colleague that needs also VLAN and he is having similar issues. So no for the moment I don't know about such system with Win10 that is working fine.

Regards,

Kalin

0 Kudos