Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4872 Discussions

L2 VM using SRIOV with 82599ES

BDemi3
Beginner

Hi,

I am trying to run a VM that wont have an ip address but instead will work in transparent mode (like a cable). I have a PF that has 7 VFs on it and some of these VFs are part of VLAN x and some VLAN y. Here are my issues:

1. I see that the bcast traffic is sent to all VFs regardless, can I change it so that only bcast for the related VLAN arrives on th VF?

2. As the traffic that I generate has a different dest IP/MAC than my transparent VM, the VF should be in promiscuous mode. Is it enough to set "trust on" with ip link?

What I am trying to do is, to pass the traffic from VM1 to VM2 over the transparent VM.

VM1 -- TransparentVM -- VM2

Thanks,

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Demirel,

Thank you for posting in Wired Ethernet Communities.

While i'm still checking your query, please share the ethtool -i output of your 82599ES.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
BDemi3
Beginner

Unfortunately I dont own the setup any more but I have seen in another thread that Promiscuous mode can not be enabled on 82599ES on VFs. It will probably be supported in Fortville ( Trust Mode ), can you pls confirm this?

But I still couldnt find an answer to the 1st question about not sending all the bcast to all VFs

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Demirel, For your 1st question, please check out page 23 of 82599 SR-IOV driver companion guide ( http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/networking/82599-sr-iov-driver-companion-guide.html) for VLAN filter capability.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Demirel, For your question pertaining to promiscuous mode, Fortville supports multicast promiscuous mode.

Please let us know if you have additional clarification.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Demirel, we'd like to check if you still need assistance regarding 82599ES.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
BDemi3
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks, we will use Fortville for mcast promiscuous mode requirement.

As far as I understand the vlan filter must be applied by the VF driver so my application must do it?

thanks,

BD

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi BD, Based on the 82599 SR-IOV driver companion guide, need to set vlan ID tag in the VF driver. There's also additional information mentioned in the PF driver regarding vlan filter in page 38 of the same document.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi BD, please let us know if you have additional query related to 82599.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos