Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

Lan Port on MI970

Milad_2021
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I have a motherboard MI970 which has two ethernet port, one Intel 82579LM and one 82583V. 

The 82583V port was connected to a raspberry Pi. I have noticed that the connection was disconnected and a yellow LED on it is steady on, it doesn't matter if a cable is connected or not. 

After I have noticed this issue, I have checked the device manager and the driver under Network Adapter was with a yellow exclamation mark, so I have tried to unistall and reinstall it but disappeared totally. I have checked under hidden devices, and wasn't there.

Also, I have tried restart the system and turned it off for a while. Nothing changed. Since the system is on the LED of the port is ON and is not working. 

Also, I have tried to install the driver manually but it didn't allow me to install. 

Is there any solution for this issue?

Also, if I cannot use the port and is knocked, can the motherboard be used? I meant it cannot cause any more issues on other parts?

I would appreciate if you could give me some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Milad

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Milad, 

You're welcome. Appreciate you swift response on this matter. 

Yes, since the 82583V has only Inbox support for Windows 10, there is no way to update drivers automatically or manually. The driver being used on the system is supplied by the Operating System.

We highly suggest contacting your motherboard's manufacturer for further assistance if the 82583V is no longer detected on your system. They might provide you troubleshooting steps for detecting issues on your board. 

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications. 

Awaiting to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Milad,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Kindly provide the following information that would help in checking your request.

1. When was the issue first encountered?

2. Is the 82583V known to be working fine before?

3. Is the 82579LM working as expected and the issue is only present on 82583V?

4. Is the MI970 the model of your motherboard? If yes, will you be able to share its brand or link for the specifications of the motherboard?

5. Operating System used?

6. You mentioned that you noticed that there is a yellow exclamation mark under Network Adapter. Can you share if you are able to check its error message/description?

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Milad_2021
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Thanks a lot for your comment. Please see my answers to your questions,

1. When was the issue first encountered?

I have found the issue last Tuesday.

2. Is the 82583V known to be working fine before?

Yes, was working fine without any issue. 

3. Is the 82579LM working as expected and the issue is only present on 82583V?

Yes, the 82579LM is working fine. It is connected to Modem and there is connection and internet.

4. Is the MI970 the model of your motherboard? If yes, will you be able to share its brand or link for the specifications of the motherboard?

Yes, it is MI970VF. It is build-in our scientific instrument. I have reached to the company for this issue. They have suggested that probably the issue is happened because of power surge. But there is no evidence for power surge. I didn't find anything wrong. Everything is working fine, all ports are working fine. 

I have googled the model and found the below file, 

https://www.ibase.com.tw/english/download/USER'S%20Manual/MI970VF_User_manual_V1.2.pdf

5. Operating System used?

Windows 10

6. You mentioned that you noticed that there is a yellow exclamation mark under Network Adapter. Can you share if you are able to check its error message/description?

Yes, after I found this issue, I have checked the device manager. A exclamation mark was on 82583V under network adapter and the 82583V  was gray, colourless. I have tried to unistall and reinstall it but it disappeared. I have checked the hidden device in device manager and found there. But after I have tried to update the driver is gone. Unfortunately,  Ididn't check the error message/description and I am not able to do it as it disappeared. 

As I said, the port was connected to Raspberri Pi Lan port. I have noticed the Lan port on Raspberri Pi also is not working. It was disabled and I have enabled again.

I just wanted to know if it is happened because of any reason, can it make other issues on the other parts of the motherboard?

Thanks again,

Milad

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Milad, 

Thank you for the reply. 

First, we'd like to set your expectation that we have a limited support since you are using an Ethernet controller that's embedded with iBase system. For OEM on-board Ethernet controller, it would be best if you can also get in touch with iBase for further support since they might have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller.

Unfortunately, we cannot answer your question if it can make other issues on the other parts of the motherboard. This would be best answered by your manufacturer since they are the one who designed the hardware. They might need to identify first if the issue is related to software or hardware. 

We are not also able to point out the root cause of the issue since we are not aware of the error message. But normally, most of the issues can fixed after updating the driver. However, this is not your case since you mentioned that you already tried to update the driver but the controller disappeared again. 

With this, can you share where was the driver downloaded from? Was if from your manufacturer? We've tried looking for driver for 82583V from our download site and found out that this controller has only Inbox support for Windows 10. Meaning, Driver and software updates aren't planned for adapters with only in-box support. These adapters can't be updated using automated or manual methods.

This is stated on link below titled Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Ethernet Controllers (LOM)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055236/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Please also share if there is any software or hardware changes on your system prior to the issue. 

Awaiting to your response.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Milad_2021
Beginner
Hello again Crisselle,
Thanks for the information.
Much appreciated.

Yes, I have downloaded from Intel website. So, it can be the reason that I wasn't able to install it?
No, there is no software or hardware changes before/after this issue.

Cheers,
Milad
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Milad, 

You're welcome. Appreciate you swift response on this matter. 

Yes, since the 82583V has only Inbox support for Windows 10, there is no way to update drivers automatically or manually. The driver being used on the system is supplied by the Operating System.

We highly suggest contacting your motherboard's manufacturer for further assistance if the 82583V is no longer detected on your system. They might provide you troubleshooting steps for detecting issues on your board. 

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications. 

Awaiting to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Milad_2021
Beginner
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Milad, 

No problem at all, glad to be of help. 

Please be informed that we will now close this request. We hope you'll be able to fix the issue as soon as possible with your manufacturer's help. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Have an amazing week and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos