Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Lenovo P340 Tiny: NVMe conflict with i350 PCIe NIC

cromo
Beginner

I have a functional P340 Tiny workstation, which so far hosted a stock NVIDIA GPU. I replaced the GPU with a fully functional Supermicro AOC-SGP-i4 PCIe card that has 4 x Intel i350 NICs. The card is confirmed to be fully functional using another system.

When I plug the NIC in, the NVMe disappears from the system and neither BIOS nor AMT status page report it. The system is struggling to boot, continuing in loop to find a boot media, but after rebooting it actually does boot just fine, despite still *not* seeing the NVMe. Once booted (Proxmox VE), the `lspci` shows that the Intel NICs were not detected. Also Intel Sound seems to be not initiating (normally works fine).

There's an apparent PCIe conflict. The BIOS is reset to default, its version is up to date (m2wjt54). I also tried covering PCIe's pins 5 and 6 to disable its SMBIOS, (per        Anyone have Intel i350 NIC working in Z230?      ), to no avail.

I also updated the firmware on i350 to the latest available (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15755/intel-ethernet-connections-boot-utility-preboot-images-and-efi-drivers.html), to no avail. The NICs were flashed with PXE+EFI boot option, if that matters.

I run out of the ideas at this point.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
cromo
Beginner

Well, I removed the NVMe drive to see if the NIC would show up, and it doesn't. I run the Diagnostics to list all the devices found and aside from the built-in i219 NIC, no other NIC was reported, so this is a different sort of issue than I originally speculated.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Symptoms like this are usually the result of a BIOS bug. I suggest you contact the support folks for the board manufacturer and see if this issue has been seen previously and if there is a preliminary fix available for testing.

...S

0 Kudos
cromo
Beginner

Thanks. I created a ticket with the vendor, will report back here on the outcome.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello cromo,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I just want to check if you still have clarifications and hoping that you are now talking to the vendor since they are the best team who can assist you regarding this issue.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello cromo,

I am just sending another follow up to check if you still have clarifications. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos