Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4877 Discussions

Losing internet connexion after 5min on ethernet

RELHE
Beginner

Hello,

Following my move to Windows 10 that I just installed on my new SSD, I encounter a very strange problem, indeed, as soon as I turn on my pc I am normally connected to the internet and everything works well but after a while, (about 5 to 10min) I completely lose the internet connection, I can not open any more pages (not even google).

PS: The network icon at the bottom of the screen does not show any anomalies.

I tried to update my Ethernet driver with the latest driver provided on the Intel site, I tried to update the Windows via Windows Update to the latest version but nothing has changed! I also tried to reset the network settings through the commands on "cmd" it works at first but later the problem comes back and it's still after a few minutes of use. I then thought to do a complete reinstallation of the windows but it did not solve the problem.

For now, I'm getting a temporary solution:

- Going through the following cmd command: ipconfig / flushdns which makes the internet connection come back.

Another very important info that can help is that when I use skype or other software that uses the internet, it continues to work despite that I do not have an internet on my explorer, however, if i leave the software to restart it, it will not work again.

FYI I have a network card: Intel ethernet connection i219-v

Motherboard: Asus Z170 pro gaming

Processor: Core i5 6600k

SSD: Samsung 850evo

RAM: Corsair 8Gox2

Thank you for your help in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Usoop,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. As this is an onboard NIC on Asus* board, it is recommended you use the driver provided from Asus* as customized driver from the board vendor is more suitable for the onboard NIC on their system. You may also try upgrade the board BIOS to the latest version.

Have you tried connecting to other internet connection to isolate the issue?

Please feel free to update me.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
RELHE
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

I already did what you sad, using the driver from Asus website, and i updated the bios of my motherboard Asus Z170 pro gaming to the latest version but it did not fix the internet connection, i continue losing internet after a while, about 5 or 10min after restarting my computer.

Actually, i continue cleaning DNS cache to get connection back.

I only have one acces to internet so i cannot try another one, but i have other computers connected to the same acces and they don't have issues, the only one who have problem ethernet is the windows 10 computer.

Regards,

Usoop

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Usoop,

Thank you for the update. I am not sure if you have change the cable (in case you have spare cable) to isolate the physical part. Another thing you can check is can you try adjust to turn off TCP offloading in the advance property of the NIC.

You may also adjust power saving features by going to network adapter -> Properties -> Power Management, and then turn off the "Allow the computer to save power" option.

I would suggest you to contact Asus* as this is the onboard NIC embedded on the system, they can better check on the hardware aspect as well. Thanks.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
RELHE
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

As i sad, i've changed the ethernet cable, with a new one that i have, but nothing has changed. By cons, can you tell me how to turn off TCP offloading, I have not tried this yet.

About power saving, ive already did this by disabling all options as you can see in this picture (sorry i have french version) :

See here, there is no anomalies, but i still losing internet about a few minutes, even if all drivers are updated.

I will try to contact Asus to see if they can help me about this issue, but if it is about Intel network, i think here is the best place to find help.

Regards,

Usoop

0 Kudos
RELHE
Beginner

Hi,

Please, take a look at this screen shots, it can helps :

Please let me know if you need other information.

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Usoop,

Thank you for the additional information. To adjust TCP offload setting,

go to device manager->network adapter-> right click on I219-V->property->Advance,

you may refer to below website for the option

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005593/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

What is the speed set on your internet router? I can see currently the setting is in autonegotiation mode, can you try force the speed in the Speed & Duplex parameter see if this will make any difference but please ensure both the router and the NIC has the same mode.

e.g. if you NIC is in autonegotiation mode so should be the router.

Thanks,

Sharon T

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Usoop,

Please feel free to update me if you have tried the suggestion and what is the status of the connection right now?

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos