Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4862 Discussions

Maximum number of VLANs I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

Buyiyo
Beginner
Good Morning,

What is the maximum number of VLANs that I can pass through an ethernet port for the I350 Gigabit Network Connection adapter (rev 01)?

I am using this nic with Proxmox, where I will use 2 ports in LACP mode.

Greetings.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Buyiyo,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please share the following information that would help in checking you request.

1. PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

2. Is this initial integration or your setup has been working already?

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Buyiyo
Beginner
Good afternoon,

Currently it is impossible for me to obtain the PBA as they are in use in a remote environment.

Yes, I can get the MAC of each interface on the card, in case I can help.

Comment that it is an original piece of INtel supplied for compatibility with supermicro server.

Greetings.
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Buyiyo,

No problem at all, appreciate your swift reply.

Please allow us to further check your query. We will get back to you in case additional information or needed and rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Buyiyo
Beginner
Hello,

Any news regarding this matter?

I am waiting to receive news,

Greetings.
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Buyiyo,

Apologies for the delay on this matter.

Based on Intel® Advanced Network Services VLANs link below, Intel® software supports a maximum of 64 VLANs per network port or team.

Refer to this link for Intel® Advanced Network Services VLANs

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005677/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

We would also like to share with you the list of Supported Operating Systems for Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters. You may visit this link to see the supported Operating system for I350 adapters. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

We will also further check your exact inquiry below with our engineers and get back to you within 2-3 business days. 

What is the maximum number of VLANs that I can pass through an ethernet port for the I350 Gigabit Network Connection adapter (rev 01)?

I am using this nic with Proxmox, where I will use 2 ports in LACP mode.

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Buyiyo,

Apologies for the delay on this request. 

While we are checking this with our higher level support, can you confirm that you are only using Promox? If no, are there any other OSes installed in the server? Please share the Operating System used.

We hope to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Buyiyo
Beginner

Hello,

Yes, I can confirm that we only use proxmox as our operating system.

Through this we have LACP layer 2+3 configured.

If you need any extra details please don't hesitate to ask,

I look forward to hearing from you,

Regards.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Dear Buyiyo,

Thank you for the swift response. 

Please allow us to re-escalate this request to our higher level. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Dear Buyiyo,

We sincerely apologize for the delay on this matter.

Unfortunately, what we can only provide is the hardware level information. You may check the datasheet (link below) for the I350. However, since Proxmox is an open source OS, we highly recommend contacting Promox drivers support or log in the Promox Forum for further assistance. We believe that someone from Promox forum will be able to assist you about the maximum VLAN inquiry.

https://forum.proxmox.com/

Intel® Ethernet Controller I350: Datasheet

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/ethernet-controller-i350-datasheet.pdf

We have also shared this on our previous post and unfortunately, Proxmox is not listed as validated OS for I350. You may visit this link to see the supported Operating system for I350 adapters. 

Supported Operating Systems for Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

Awaiting to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Buyiyo
Beginner

Good morning,

I will make the query in the Proxmox forum, as soon as I get a reply I will update the status of this post.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Dear Buyiyo,

Thank you for the reply.

While you are waiting for feedback from Proxmox team, can you please confirm if you wish to keep this request open? If no, kindly advise if you're okay to proceed with request closure. 

Feel free to let us know if you have additional assistance needed on this matter and we will be glad to check on it.

Awaiting to your reply. 

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Buyiyo,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you have additional questions and clarifications on this query. If you do, please let us know and we will be glad to check on it. 

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Buyiyo,

I hope you're doing good!

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Buyiyo
Beginner

Good morning,

Sorry for the delay, here is the reply from proxmox.

* the pve-kernel ships the in-tree drivers for the intel NICs - the output of `modinfo igb` will tell you (and Intel support) the concrete version
* a quick look in the kernel source (for the current 5.11 kernel) has an occurence of the define:

#define E1000_VLAN_FILTER_TBL_SIZE 128 /* VLAN Filter Table (4096 bits) */

which is also used in the igb driver
- so my guess would be that the limit is 128
* IIRC you should be able to configure more vlans, if you disable vlan-offloading via `ethtool`

Regards.

0 Kudos