Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4853 Discussions

Media disconnect issue

LLAZA
Beginner

Hi,

I have an Dell CS24-TY server fitted by manufacturer (as I know this series is made by Quanta) with a dual NIC (Intel® 82576) and with up to date Windows 2012 R2 OS. The two nic's are regularly configured in NIC-Team (but also where sometimes let alone). I noticed that from some time (let say some four, five months ago), regularly but in a random way Windows reports that media was disconnected. The only way to solve this condition is to restart the server. This bother me in many way since is my DNS server, my domain controller and so on. I may not believe that is a hardware condition since after reboot it restores connection. So before considering to buy another PCI-e NIC (that is somehow expensive) I try to find that maybe this condition is a kind of miss-configuration.

In Windows Event Viwer regularly I found entries like this:

//

Member Nic {b0978897-b852-4cef-a552-e0cc7adc0010} Disconnected.

//

The description for Event ID 27 from source e1iexpress cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Intel(R) 82576 Gigabit Dual Port Network Connection

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

//

followed at seconds

//

Member Nic {14ae3c8c-2f85-4b17-91d6-bf591a9014ef} Disconnected.

//

The description for Event ID 27 from source e1iexpress cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Intel(R) 82576 Gigabit Dual Port Network... [5,0,1]

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

//

After digging the event log I may find issues like this that by any appreciations are followed by a "natural" restore (a very temporary condition), but mainly after this I have to manually reboot the server.

Any hints to investigate this are welcomed.

Regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Net4u,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. I am not sure which driver you are using, there is no Windows 2012 R2 driver from Intel to support 82576 Ethenet controller, you may refer to our download center to check.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/37166/Intel-82576EB-Gigabit-Ethernet-Controller.

Is the onboard NIC used in any Vmware system? Here is one reference site found, you might want to check the content if this could be some help. (Please note below third party website is not owned by Intel, Intel has no control over the content)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/e7d687cd-d95c-4bcb-9f7c-91402ae00f5b/event-id-27-e1iexpress?forum=winserver8gen

Have you tried contacting Dell* support for the driver and possible configuration since this is an onboard NIC? It is recommended to contact the board vendor for customized driver, please refer to below website for reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006628/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html?wapkw=oem+network

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
LLAZA
Beginner

Hi,

I used the driver installed by default (so I suppose a msft driver). No is no hyper-v or other virtualization. Is plain windows 2012.

Dell offer no support since cs24 series was a dedicated line of cs1100 produced custom for Facebook data-centers.

Anyway I noticed that if I disable interrupt moderation rate and large send offload seems to become more stable. Is to early yet to have an conclusion but I will come back with details.

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Net4u,

Thank you for the update and additional information. Please feel free to update me and hope to hear good news from you.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Net4u,

Please feel free to update me if you still need further assistance. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos