Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Module eeprom with i40e and XL710-QDA1

TDey
Beginner

Hi Intel,

I would like to read-out the module eeprom of QSFP transceiver connected to a XL710-QDA1 NIC.

The naive approach failed: ethtool -m eth0. It reports: "Cannot get module EEPROM information: Operation not supported"

Is this feature supported by the NIC and the Intel driver i40e?

I am using the following driver and firmware:

driver version: 2.0.23

firmware-version: 5.05 0x800028a2 1.1568.0

Thanks and kind regards

Thomas Dey

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

HI Thomas Dey,

Thank you for posting at Wired Communities. I will need to check on this, will update you once there is any information to share.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Thomas Dey,

Please provide the serial number of the XL710 network adapter you have. Please locate the serial number on the white sticker on the physical network adapter. The serial # format goes like 15 alphanumeric + 6 alphanumeric + 6 -3 digits.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
TDey
Beginner

Hi

here the serial number of the adapter:

3CFDFEA23018008 3116AD J11357-002

Thanks and kind regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the information. Can you share also the marking of the QSFP transceiver you used as I understand you need to read the eeprom. You can post the screenshot of the transceiver (back and front view) if it is convenient for you.

Apologize for any inconvenience this might caused.

Much thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
TDey
Beginner

Hi,

here a photo of the used QSFP transceiver. The other side is just blank. Another tranceiver is already ordered. Is the NIC with the current driver in general capable of reading the module eeprom? I didn't found the regarding functions in the i40e driver, like in the ixgbe driver (e.g. read_i2c_eeprom) ?

Kind regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for providing the information. But this seems not a validated Intel fiber part for the XL710-QDA1. It is recommended to use Intel validated fiber module. I need to check if the driver can read the eeprom, will update you once there is sny finding.

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
TDey
Beginner

Dear Sharon,

Can you confirm that is possible to read module's eeprom of a validated Intel QSFP transceiver with the current NIC and driver version? Does the eeprom contain information about the received optical power (like SFP transceivers do)?

This would be a strong argument for the original Intel parts, of course.

Kind regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the follow up. We are still checking if the eeprom is readable. With regards to the optical power information, please refer to page 2 at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ethernet-products/optics-cables/ethernet-qsfp-optics-brief.html. Please let me know if the information answer your optical power inquiry.

I will update you once there is any finding about the eeprom.

Rgds,

sharon

0 Kudos
TDey
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

the information provides the specification of the QSFP optics and it is interesting, since here the boundaries (min, max) of the optical parameters are defined. However, I would like to read-out the optical properties (optical power) measured by the transceiver during operation. I have attached the a screenshot of a SFP module as an example.

Thanks for your effort regarding the eeprom readout!

Kind regards

Thomas

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Thomas, we don't have the capability in our driver to perform the read-out. if your switch supports DDM (Digital Diagnostics Monitoring), it should allow real-time monitor of fiber optic parameters.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Thomas,

Please feel free to update me if there are other assistance needed. Thank you.

rgds,

sharon

0 Kudos