Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

Multicast not working Intel X710-DA4

jhuyb
Beginner

We have a couple of Intel X710-DA4 quadport 10Gbit cards but it seems multicasting doesn't work from or to them.

I installed the latest firmware and the 1.2.38 driver for Linux on CentOS 6/7 but whatever I try it only sends out unicast according to tcpdump or omping.

I also tried disabling the rp filters in Linux and manually adding the multicast route to the interface.

On the same switch I also have an NC550 card in a server and this one works fine with multicast.

0 Kudos
48 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi jimmy1987, thanks for confirming your optic model.

Hi thehevy, thanks for sharing your configuration.

Hi RuiGuo, we'll keep you updated on our findings. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
rguo6
Beginner

Hi thehevy,

Do we need to set it at every reboot or will it stick?

Regards,

Rui

0 Kudos
rguo6
Beginner

Hi Sandy,

Two weeks. Any update on this?

Regards,

Rui

0 Kudos
jhuyb
Beginner

I would like to know as well as thehevy's solution didn't change anything.

RuiGuo did you have any luck with a different brand of 4 ports 10gbit card? In case this doesn't work.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Jimmy1987 and RuiGuo

Thank you for the update. While we were checking for solution, came across in our support site that provide some information on setting multicast. Please refer to5.3.3.http://www.intel.eu/content/dam/doc/design-guide/82599-sr-iov-driver-companion-guide.pdf http://www.intel.eu/content/dam/doc/design-guide/82599-sr-iov-driver-companion-guide.pdf

In the meantime, can you send the steps/commands on how you configured multicast settings?

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
jhuyb
Beginner

Hi wb_intel,

I tested it using omping to see if it works but it only send out unicast messages. The switch is configured as it should as with a NC550 from HP it works fine.

0 Kudos
jhuyb
Beginner

Hi,

As an additional as I can't edit my replies.

I see the PDF is about the ixgbe driver while this one use the i40e driver, so I'm not sure if it would be the same? Not sure on how to change or set it there.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Jimmy1987,

Thank you for the update. we will check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
rguo6
Beginner

Hi wb,

I am using scapy, make a multicast pkts 01:00:CC:xxxxxxxxxx as the destination MAC address and send it out from eth12.

See following connections.

Server eth12(x710-da4)---------------switch port1 -------------------switch port2------------------server eth13(x710-da4)

ifconfig to see the rx

or netstat -i see the incoming pkts

or something else...

I can see the mulitcast pkts are sent out from eth12, but not received on eth13.

Checked all the pkts counters on switch port1 and port2. It absolutely sending out at port2.

but eth13 doesn't received anything.

also way tried broadcast, all 'F' pkts, send out, eth13 received. it works

configure IP tried ping, it works.

It has been 2 weeks. ; (

Regards,

Rui

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Rui,

Thanks for providing the details. I'm so sorry for the delay.

We are trying to identify what is blocking your multicast packets. Such as firewalls or port settings.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
rguo6
Beginner

Hi Jimmy,

Can you try this latest driver,

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24411/Network-Adapter-Driver-f Intel® Download Center

it updated at 06/08.

I didn't try it yet. My servers are running, cannot shut-down/reboot.

You can try it first.

regards,

Rui

0 Kudos
rguo6
Beginner

Hi sandy,

Can you make sure of this NIC is able to receive multicast pkts first ?

If you are sure your product is good to receive multicast, then lets make a diff with my cables, switches, and cables. or something else you need.

My system Linux, 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64

regards

Rui

0 Kudos
jhuyb
Beginner

Hi Rui,

I tried the new driver but I didn't see any differences with the old one.

@Sandy, since this topic has been going on for about 3 weeks now and we did have the issue even longer, my superiors are getting a bit on edge here as to why such a simple thing as multicast doesn't work for such expensive cards. Can we get any updates on this other then that Intel is looking into it as I have to give them something

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We would like to request for additional information for us to look into the issue. Please send us the dump file, see below:

- use the debugfs interface to dump the VSI's belonging to the port:

# echo "dump vsis" > /sys/kernel/debug/i40e/0000:07:00.0/command

And then dump each vsi listed where you substitute with the value of one of the VSI SEIDs dumped by the "dump vsis" command:

# echo "dump vsi " > /sys/kernel/debug/i40e/0000:07:00.0/command

- do that for each port (0000:07:00.0, 0000:07:00.1,0000:07:00.2 and 0000:07:00.3)

Once you have collected all the data please send it to us.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
jhuyb
Beginner

Hi Sandy,

I do not have such a directory.

[root@test ~]# ls /sys/kernel/debug/

[root@test ~]#

0 Kudos
jhuyb
Beginner

Hi Sandy,

As a following up question, how do we disable all those security things it seems to have like that ATR and mac checking etc etc.

We don't need it and may very well be the reason why it isn't working and the HP is, as it just does what it's programmed for, route traffic.

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi jimmy1987,

I see that you don't have the directory. I'll check on this as well as the security settings.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
jhuyb
Beginner
0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi jimmy1987,

Thanks for posting. We're working on this and will update you once we find anything.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
jhuyb
Beginner

Hi,

Any updates? Shouldn't take this long to figure out how to kill some features as you are the ones who built the thing..

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi jimmy1987,

I'm sorry for the delay. But rest assured, we are looking into this issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos