Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4813 Discussions

Multicast packets are being received on all VFs of a Fortville PF

GownivallaSusmitha

Hi Team,

We have created 2VFs on a Fortville PF. As part of our testing, we have configured VF1 with a vlan and OSPF and VF2 with other vlan without any OSPF on it. 

As we have configured OSPF on VF1, the multicast packets are getting received on VF1 along with the VF1 vlan. This behavior is fine and expected but we could see VF2 is also receiving multicast packets along with VF1 vlan. Also, we have seen the same behavior when there is no vlan configured on VF2 as well

Is this expected behavior in case of Fortville NIC (Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+) ?

Thanks & Regards,

Susmitha

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello GownivallaSusmitha,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed, let me clarify some details. You mentioned that you are testing the system with 2 VF's. Did you design your own system with embedded Ethernet Controller X710?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
GownivallaSusmitha

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply

We have created a VM and associated two VFs from same PF to that VM

Regards,

Susmitha

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Thank you for the prompt reply. Before we go to the OS and VF's, I need to check first your hardware. Are you designing a board or a system with embedded Ethernet Controller X710?

If not, please provide the brand and model of your motherboard or system and kindly confirm if your Ethernet Controller X710 is onboard/embedded or a PCIe card.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
GownivallaSusmitha

Hi Michael,

We are designing a System/VM to which Ethernet Controller X710 is attached. 

As per my knowledge, I think the mentioned NIC: Ethernet Controller X710 is a PCIe card. FYI, I could see below output with "lshw":

pci@xxxx:xx:xx.x ethx network Ethernet Controller XXV710 for 25GbE SFP28

Note: I have replaced number with "x" in the above output

Thanks & Regards,

Susmitha

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Thank you for the quick reply. Let me clarify some details on your reply and also gather more details about the system for us to investigate the issue.

1. When you say you design a system, meaning you did you build the board?
  2. If you are using a pre-built system, kindly provide the brand and model of your system.
  3. You mentioned that you are using a PCIe Ethernet Controller X710, please provide photos of the card on both sides for us to check if the card is not an OEM unit.
  4. Kindly provide the brand and model of the module and cables used with the network card.
  5. Can you provide a screenshot of the issue?
  6. What is your OS?
  7. Can you help generate the ssu of the system. Download the utility below:

For Windows:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?wapkw=SSU

For Linux:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html?wapkw=SSU

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just making a follow up on the information that we requested for us to further check your inquiry.

We will wait for your reply.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

I am just sending another follow up on the information that we requested. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos