Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Multicast packets are being received on all VFs of a Fortville PF

GownivallaSusmitha

Hi Team,

We have attached Fortville NIC to the VM we created on Compute Node (Openstack env) and we have created 2VFs on a Fortville PF. As part of our testing, we have configured VF1 with a vlan and OSPF and VF2 with other vlan without any OSPF on it. 

As we have configured OSPF on VF1, the multicast packets are getting received on VF1 along with the VF1 vlan. This behavior is fine and expected but we could see VF2 is also receiving multicast packets along with VF1 vlan. Also, we have seen the same behavior when there is no vlan configured on VF2 as well

Is this expected behavior in case of Fortville NIC (Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+) ?

We have already raised ticket for the above issue. Please find the below thread for more info

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Multicast-packets-are-being-received-on-all-VFs-of-a-Fortville/m-p/1361123/thread-id/28470

Thanks & Regards,

Susmitha

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello GownivallaSusmitha,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

As per checking with the previous thread, the case was closed since you were no longer responding however you still haven't provided the information that we have asked for you to clarify.

Please provide us the following information for us to investigate the issue;

1. When you say you design a system, meaning you did you build the board?

2. If you are using a pre-built system, kindly provide the brand and model of your system.

3. You mentioned that you are using a PCIe Ethernet Controller X710, please provide photos of the card on both sides for us to check if the card is not an OEM unit.

4. Kindly provide the brand and model of the module and cables used with the network card.

5. Can you provide a screenshot of the issue?

6. What is your OS?

7. Please provide us an SSU log

Please follow the steps below to generate your SSU:

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

For Windows:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html...

For Linux:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-op...

2. Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Note: Please put a tick on "Everything" when scanning the log

4. You can attach the saved log file to this thread.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to proceed checking your query. Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
GownivallaSusmitha

Hi Zigfreid,

1. Actually we are working in Openstack pod environment where we create VMs(Routers) on compute nodes.

2. OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.6

PFA,

Thanks,

Susmitha

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Thank you for responding and for providing us the information that we have asked. 

As per checking on your SSU log, we found out that you are using a Dell System. We'd like to set your expectation that for Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Ethernet controller for X710 since this is the one that you are needing assistance with. We have limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with the manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. 

They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. But don't worry as we will still provide our best effort support to help you resolve the issue. 

Please allow us some time to have this check. Is it okay if we can ask between 2-3 business days to provide you an update. Once we have all the information that we need we will notify you immediately. If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
GownivallaSusmitha

Hi Zigfreid,

Thanks for the update

As you mentioned, we would like to get in touch with Manufacturer as well for support. Please let us know how can we contact them

Thanks,

Susmitha

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

We do apologize again for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead.

Also if you are needing to get in touch with Dell, you can use the link below that we found on the internet. 

Dell contact support 

https://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/en-my/contactus/dynamic

If you have other questions or other concerns, please let us know so we can help you further.

We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

We do apologize for the delay in providing an update. As per checking by our engineers, they are requiring some additional information; 

1. Can you advise us what are the trust mode and promiscuous mode settings on the PF and each of the VF interfaces?

2. Are you also seeing unicast or broadcast packets intended for VF1 appear on VF2 as well?

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to proceed checking your query. Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos