Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Multiple Networks connected to X540

DScob
Beginner

Hi

I was wondering if it is possible to connect two seperate networks to the RJ45s on the X540 NIC. I need to make sure that no routing occurs between the two networks.

Thanks for any help

David

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Dscobey,

Thank you for posting in Intel Wired Ethernet Communities. Is the X540 adapter being configured on a server that will be accessed by both networks? What is the X540 being connected to, a different switch for each adapter port? Will they also have a router with NAT and WAN access? Are the IP address ranges for each network different? This may be a scenario that can work, but the server will only have access to the Internet through one default gateway on one network at a time. Each port will be configured within the address range of that network. The router that is not the default gateway will require a static route to the server on the other network. This will mostly depend on your needs, and network configurations. Kindly provide more detail. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any other questions.

Best regards,

Daniel D
0 Kudos
DScob
Beginner

Thanks for the answer, I will try to provide a little more detail:

Currently network A is the internal network for the company and does not allow inbound connections from outside the network, the server containing the X540 is patched into the switch for network A.

Network B will be connected to a commercial ISP and the server will be patched into the ISP switch from port 2 of the X540. Inbound connections will be allowed on Network B.

The IP space will be different on each network and should not allow routing between the ports of the X540.

Each port on the X540 will be configured with the required IP settings for the network that it is plugged into.

No DHCP will be used, static IPs only. Both networks will need to access the internet.

If you have more questions please ask, I know I'm probably leaving something out.

David

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Dscobey,

Thank you for the reply. Depending on the network configuration, this may be achievable with VLANs. Are you already running Advanced Network Services on the server with the X540-T2? The X540-T2 would be able to use VLANs to route traffic to/from Network A to the Router on network B and the ISP for Internet access on both networks. For implementation beyond the X540-T2 please check with a network administrator. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Daniel D
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Dscobey,

Hope you found the advice helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Daniel D
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Dscobey,

If you need any other assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Daniel D
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Dscobey,

To clarify no routing will occur between the two networks. There is no gateway or routing on the server to pass the traffic, and each network will have a different IP subnet.

Best regards,

Daniel D
0 Kudos