Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4852 Discussions

NETwNs32 Error (5035 and 5005)

idata
Employee

Our wifi chips are not being enabled when pulling laptops from the docking station.

We're running Win7 with a corproate wifi profile which includes adaptor switching.

We're now seeing a situation where not only will the wifi not re-enable when undocked, but it's also impossible to turn the wifi back on without rebooting the machine.

An event log I captured shows:

Network Link is disconnected from e1cexpress <- the ethernet being unplugged</em>

Followed by

Information: Event ID 5005 and5035, NETwNs32 

"The description for Event ID 5035 from source NETwNs32 cannot be found." every 30 seconds

NETwNs32.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers\ and is from Intel version 14.0.1.2

\Device\NDMP28

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205

An example message

The description for Event ID 5035 from source NETwNs32 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP28

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi blods,

Have you had any luck with solving this? I've been having a similar problem with Acer Aspire One's using the same wireless card being disabled by windows 7 power management but not being turned back on:

The description for Event ID 7036 from source NETwNs32 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP5

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No not yet.

What makes you think its the power management doing it?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The only way I have been able to re-create the issue is to run the battery down.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK that's interesting - I have Dell tech support trying to recreate the problem without any luck - I hadn't thought of the battery state.

With us it seemed tied to how long the machine was docked with the wifi disabled by the software, but I guess either way its somehow related to the OS and the wifi banging heads with each other.

There's an option in the Intel proset to prevent powermanagement of the wifi I think - I'm going to see how we have that set.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We are currently using Juniper to manage wifi, but I have been trailing Proset which does not seem to have the issue. Also, it only started happening after the upgrade from XP to Windows 7. Have tried disabling power management in the device manager with no luck. I'm assuming Juniper is using the wrong driver to control the wifi card and Windows power management can't wake the card after it goes into power-save mode.

The event logs listing the NETwNs32 error and in the proset drivers, the main driver is NETwNs32.inf

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So we're having the issue with Intel proset and the problem also started happening with Windows 7.

In our case the Intel Proset configuration is set to disable the wireless when it senses an ethernet connection (adatper switching).

So it was this that we suspect is causing the problem. The wifi is off and on ethernet/docking station - and goes into hibernate after a period of inactivity. Then when you pull the machine from dock and wake it the wifi won't come back on and the NETwNs32 error is in the logs.

Having not been able to recreate it with Dell and not having had any sensible solutions from Intel our hope is to use a new BIOS feature which disabled the Wifi in hardware when on ethernet rather than in software. But not much luck with that yet either.

0 Kudos