Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4862 Discussions

NIC I350T4G1P20, how does BMC get I350-T4 information

RyanC
Beginner

The symptom:  I encountered a problem that BMC (Board Management Controller) cannot get I350-T4 NIC information even if I key the command under BMC kernel to get this NIC information via MCTP over SMbus / PCIe.

The Question: Does I350-T4 support the communication MCTP over SMBus / PCIe between this NIC and BMC?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello RyanC,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

We are sorry to hear that you are encountering problem with your I350T4G1P20. Before we check your request with our engineers, kindly provide the following information. 

1. Make and model of the board where the I350T4G1P20 is installed.

2. Is this a newly setup system?

3. What is command used when you mentioned "cannot get I350-T4 NIC information even if I key the command under BMC kernel to get this NIC information"

4. How many adapters are involved on this problem?

5. What is the impact of the problem on your intended setup?

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
RyanC
Beginner

Please see my feedback as below:

1. Installing in a mother board with PCIe standard slot which it meets PCIE CEM spec.

2. Yes.

3. Via BMC console and use a command to scan NIC information via MCTP over PCIe / SMBus

4.  There are 2 NIC to test, it is normal with X710, but not with I350 

5. I was wondering if this is correct behavior.

According to I350 datasheet # 336626-001 ,  it supports "DMTF MCTP protocol over SMBus" , it shall be available for communicating with BMC.

Expected behavior:  BMC can normally get the information of NIC.

Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello RyanC,

Thank you for the swift reply. 

We just have follow up questions and additional information that we wanted to check. We hope you don't mind sharing this with us.

1. We just wanted to double check if you confirmed that the I350 is detected on the motherboard? Under BIOS and even on Operating System?

2. Are X710 and I350 adapters both installed on single motherboard? Or this has been tested separately?

3. Kindly share the driver version of I350 as well as the PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
RyanC
Beginner

Please see my feedback as below:

1. Yes, both OS and BIOS can detect I350

2. Yes, they both are installing on single motherboard. I also test it separately, only I350 can be detected by BMC.

3. Driver: igb 5.8.5 under Linux, Firmware: 1.63, 0x800010C7, 1.1824.0

G13159-006

I just would like to know if I350 supports MCTP over PCIe or SMBus?

Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello RyanC,

Appreciate your swift response. 

Please allow us to escalate this request to our engineers for further checking and confirm if I350 supports MCTP over PCIe or SMBus. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello RyanC,

Good day!

We sincerely apologize for the delay as we are thoroughly checking on this together with our higher level engineers. Please give us more time to look into this. Rest assured that we will update you as soon as there is any findings but not later than 3 business days.

Thank you for your kind patience and cooperation on this matter.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello RyanC,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please see below information from our engineering team. 

This card is setup for MCTP over SMbus. We also regret to inform you that this card was discontinued in September 2014, so there is only best effort support available.

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications on this request. 

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
RyanC
Beginner

Hi,

Received, thanks for your effort!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello RyanC,

You're most welcome. 

If no additional assistance is needed, please be advised that we will now close this thread. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Your kind patience and cooperation throughout the process is highly appreciated. May you have an amazing weekend ahead!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos