Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

NIC Intel PRO/1000 PT QUAD PORT EXP19404PTG1P20

mike86100
Novice

Hello !

I bought a used NIC Intel PRO/1000 PT QUAD PORT, model EXP19404PTG1P20 and I do not succeed in installing it inside a DELL T3600.

The NIC is not recognized by the BIOS, I tried to plug it in a PCIEx4 and also in a PCIEx8 but without success.

In my T3600 I have an ESXi 6.7 installed and I'd like to use this NIC with it.

What is strange is I do not find any information about this model except in Vitenam web sites.

regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mike86100
Novice

Hello Crisselle,

Thanks a lot four your support and your detailed answers.

I have the answer for the DELL T3600, it does not support the PCI-E 1.0 devices. 

I tried my NIC on another computer which is also PCIe 2.0 and it works fine.

I should have known better before buying this EXPI9404PTG1P20, I bought another used NIC, a Intel I340-T4 and it works perfectly with my DELL T3600

thanks again

best regards,

Michael

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sounds like you got a dud. Was it purchased through a reputable vendor?

I am getting lots of hits for this part number; not sure what you are doing wrong. I see the card is available via NewEgg, PriceBlaze, etc. The card is documented on the standard intel site (here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/network-io/ethernet/10-25-40-gigabit-adapters/1000-pt-quad-port-server-adapter-brief.html).

...S

0 Kudos
mike86100
Novice

Hello Scott,

I also find what you told, using the model description as keyword.

I also found the intel documentation but what I didn't understand is what is the difference between the EXP19404PT model and the EXP19404PTG model ?

I did not find this information, lot of posts about the EXP19404PT model but not about the EXP19404PTG model.

I bought a used NIC because I want to setup a personal server at low price.

At office I often use intel pro/1000 NIC and also i350-T4 NIC, I was thinking that this EXP19404PTG would be fine... 

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello mike86100,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can we request for you to submit us a picture of the markings of your NIC both front and back so we can validate it.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
mike86100
Novice

Hello Zigfreid,

you can find 2 pictures of the NIC.

I retried to plug the NIC EXP19404PTG to my T3600 at several slot, in place of the RAID controller for example but the NIC is not seen by the bios in any slot I tried.

At work I tried a I350-T4 on another T3600 and had no problems.

Thanks for the help

Mike

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mike,

Thank you for providing the requested information. 

Kindly check the following details that would help in isolating the issue.

1. Can you confirm if the issue occurred during initial integration?

2. Have you tried installing the card on a different system to isolate the issue?

3. Will you be able to check with Dell if the card is compatible on their DELL T3600?

4. We'd like to set your expectation that we might have a limited support on this one as Intel® PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Server Adapter is already discontinued. But don't worry as we will still provide our best effort support. 

5. Since you mentioned that you bought a used NIC Intel PRO/1000 PT QUAD PORT, have you confirmed with your place of purchase if the card is still working fine on their end?

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
mike86100
Novice

Hello Crisselle,

Thanks for your answer, I will be able to answer more precisely tomorrow because I will be able to try my NIC on another T3600, and also other computers at office.

1. Yes, issue occurs during initial integration, the device is not seen by the BIOS.

2. I tried different slots on my T3600 but none of them works. I am waiting for tomorrow to try my NIC on other computers.

3. I will ask DELL for the compatibility but I think all kind of Intel PRO/1000 should be compatible with T3600.

4. Yes I understand this product is no more supported and I appreciate your support.

5. The seller told me the NIC was working on its system but I can't check his words. I bought this article on a sales site between individuals.

Can you tell me if this NIC is counterfeit by looking the pictures I sent ?

thanks,

best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
mike86100
Novice

Hello,

another information I found, the DELL T3600 has 2.0/3.0 PCIe slots whereas the NIC use PCIe 1.0a.

Is the problem can come from this ?

Is PCIe should not be backward compatible ? 

regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Michael, 

Thank you for the swift response.

Based on our initial investigation, it looks like your card is a Generic version. For Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) generic type of adapters, before a third party manufacturer alters the adapter with their own specific changes or branding, the OEM is Intel. Once they make these changes, they become the OEM (Third-party brand).

We will be waiting for you update once you checked with Dell if the Intel PRO/1000 is compatible on their T3600.

At the same time, we will be checking internally if there would be no issue with the 2.0/3.0 PCIe slots whereas the NIC use PCIe 1.0. However, this can still be best to check with Dell since the card will be installed on their motherboard. 

Looking forward to your response. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
mike86100
Novice

Hello Crisselle,

Thanks for your answer.

I tried the NIC with another T3600 and I had the same problem. I ask the DELL community but have no answer yet.

I tried another NIC to my T3600 : Intel Gigabit ET2 Quad Port, it works fine (it use PCIe 2.0).

Definitely thinking that the PCIe 1.0 is the problem. I will sell this NIC and buy another with PCIe 2.0 standard.

Thank you a lot for your help.

Michael

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Michael,

Thank you for the update. 

After checking, your adapter should be supported on 2.0/3.0 PCIe slots however it still depends on the board manufacturer for compatibility. The best way is to test the adapter on another systems. If it still does not work, you may need to coordinate the issue with your Place of Purchase.

Sharing with you the list of System Manufacturers

https://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/support/contact-intel.html?tab=system-manufacturers 

Additionally, you mentioned before that you are not able to find information for EXP19404PTG. We have checked this and the correct product code is EXPI9404PTG1P20. The 4th digit should be I and not 1.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/50496/intel-pro1000-pt-quad-port-server-adapter.html

Feel free to let us know if you still have questions or clarifications on this request. Otherwise, please confirm if we can now close this thread.

Awaiting to hear from you. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a response. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
mike86100
Novice

Hello Crisselle,

Thanks a lot four your support and your detailed answers.

I have the answer for the DELL T3600, it does not support the PCI-E 1.0 devices. 

I tried my NIC on another computer which is also PCIe 2.0 and it works fine.

I should have known better before buying this EXPI9404PTG1P20, I bought another used NIC, a Intel I340-T4 and it works perfectly with my DELL T3600

thanks again

best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Michael,

We are glad that we are able to provide some assistance and helped you with your concern. For future concerns and inquiries feel free to post a new thread as this will no longer be monitored. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos