Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

NIC teaming switch Problem

alunp
Beginner

Dear all:

We have a problem of windows 2008 R2 NIC teaming problem.we use two Intel 82599 10 gigabit dual port network adapters for nic teaming, but recently ,for unknown reasons,the primary network adapter switch from Primary adapter to secondary adapter.When switching, we can see thousands of switch in the network switch.Please help:

1. how can I find which process or software will cause the teaming switch?

2. we can only see the switch happened one time in windows log, why there were thousands of switch in network switch?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Alilunpard,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. Can you share more information for better investigation?

1) What is the teaming mode configured?

2) What is the brand and model of your server where the 82599 Dual port adapter was installed?

3) What is the exact model of the 82599 Dual port server adapter? Please check if it is an X520-SR2 or X520-DA2

4) How do find out the primary adapter became the secondary network adapter? Is it shown in the PROSet software?

5) What is the PROSet software version installed ?

6) Please clarify what you mean you can see thousands of switch in the network switch?

7) Please share the Windows log

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
alunp
Beginner

HI Sharon:

Thanks for your reply

1) What is the teaming mode configured?

----It's AFT mode

2) What is the brand and model of your server where the 82599 Dual port adapter was installed?

---I will check it later

3) What is the exact model of the 82599 Dual port server adapter? Please check if it is an X520-SR2 or X520-DA2

--sorry, I don't know where to check it

4) How do find out the primary adapter became the secondary network adapter? Is it shown in the PROSet software?

--From the windows event log.

5) What is the PROSet software version installed ?

---Intel Network Connections 22.0.18.0?

6) Please clarify what you mean you can see thousands of switch in the network switch?

--It's callled Mac flapping by the network guy.

7) Please share the Windows log

--the windows log can't be obtained from our enviroment.The eventlog look like "primary adapter does not sense any probes:...possible reason:partitioned Team"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alilunpard,

Thank you for the information. Is the 82599 network card a standalone network card you can plug in and pull out or is it embedded on the server? If it is a standalone network card, please check and provide the Vendor and Device ID by following the steps in the link

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005612/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

The latest PROSet version is 23.1, you may refer to this download site

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18725/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2008-R2-

Please feel free to provide the information so that we can better check.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
alunp
Beginner

Hi, Sharon:

Thanks for your reply , It's a standalone network card, the Vendor and Device ID is VEN_8086&DEV_10FB. We have installed the latest PROSet version.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alilunpard,

Thank you for the information. Just to clarify:

1) Are you teaming the two ports on the same X520 network adapter in AFT mode or teaming the X520 network adapter with another network card?

2) When the primary port fail, it will failover to the secondary port to sustain the network, and that is the time you see a lot of MAC flapping. Is that the scenario?

3) What is the switch model?

4) Can you provide the log as we cannot simply tell why the primary adapter fail and switch to the secondary port.

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
alunp
Beginner

Hi,Sharon:

1. We use two X520 network card for teaming

2. Yes,we found one failover log in the windws system log, but lot of MAC flapping were shown in the switch;

3. The switch is in FT Mode too.

4. Which logs do you need?

BTW, we found traffics in two Network adapters when Mac flapping happened, it looked like that the Teaming FT mode didn't work properly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
alunp
Beginner

Hi,Sharon:

SPT is disabled in the switch. I wonder how to check which process will cause the teaming failover, are there any tools to anylyze?thank you !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alilunpard,

Thank you for the update. I am sorry we do not have the tool, but can you provide those missing information I requested on my previous post so that we can better check.

Thanks,

Sharon T

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alilunpard,

Please feel free to provide the missing information for us to further check.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos