Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

NUC7I5BNK - intermittantly loses internet connection / local LAN still up though

chenks
Novice

i have a NUC7I5BNK running Windows 10 Pro (all fully up to date build 1909), ethernet connected.

everything runs fine up until at some random point i lose internet connectivity (little globe icon showing LAN but no WAN). the only way to resolve is to reboot the sytem. no errors show during this period, no device manager errors, no warnings or prompts. it just drops.

it's not the ethernet cable, it's not the connection to the router (edgerouter), it's not the WAN connection.

it's not an AV and/or firewall issue (running default windows defender).

the NUC runs 24/7 as a server, so losing the connection is an issue which can't be resolved unless physically at the box.

any ideas/thoughts?

0 Kudos
28 Replies
chenks
Novice

BIOS is updated - yes, everything is bang up to date.

Wireless - not relevant as using ethernet (but again no updates showing as needed for anything).

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @chenks​ ,

1. If you see the little globe icon on the far right of the Windows taskbar, it is indication that you lose totally internet connection - you don't have WiFi and neither Ethernet connection. In case that you are connected to internet trough Ethernet (or both, Ethernet + WiFi), you will see small monitor (rectangle) icon.
  2. That means you should check also the source on internet (i.e. router, internet provider).

Leon

0 Kudos
chenks
Novice

yes i know what the globe icon means.

the issue is NOT with my internet connection and/or router. when this happens on the NUC all my other devices still have full network and internet connectivity.

this is an issue with the NUC or more specifically the intel i219-v ethernet device, and it seems there are other threads where people are reporintg the same issue.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. When you see this error, right click on the little globe icon and run the Troubleshooter. You may also run this Troubleshooter even now, when the connection is OK.
  2. If you switch ON the WiFi and connect your NUC to internet with WiFi and Ethernet simultaneously, you still have this error?

Leon

0 Kudos
chenks
Novice

i think i should preface this by saying that i'm an IT professional with 23 years experience, so we assume from this point that all the "basic" troubleshooting has and will have been done.

as the NUC is being used as a server WIFI is never a viable option.

there seems to be quite a few reports of the intel i219-v ethernet chip having this issue, with no apparent input from intel as to why it is happening and what the resolution is.

AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello chenks,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread. 

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
chenks
Novice

scan report attached

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello chenks,

Thank you for your answer.

You might try the following:

• Go to Windows Control panel.
  • Click on Network & Sharing center.
  • Click on your ethernet network.
  • You will see ethernet properties.
  • Click on configure.
  • Go to power management of Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-V.
  • Uncheck the box that says ''Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power''.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello chenks,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
chenks
Novice

had to wait and see if the problem re-occured again.

and after making those changes the problem still occurs.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello chenks,

Thank you for the update.

Can you please try a BIOS recovery:

1. Download the Recovery BIOS (.BIO) file. 
  2. Copy the recovery file (*.BIO) to a USB device. 
  3. Plug the device into a USB port of the target computer when it's turned Off. 
  4. Press and hold the power button down for 3 or 4 seconds, until the power button LED turns orange, then release the button. 
  5. The Power Button menu appears. 
  6. Press F4 to start the BIOS recovery. 
  7. Wait for 2–5 minutes for the update to complete 
  8. The computer turns off when the recovery process is complete, or it prompts you to turn it off. 

Questions:

• When you see the globe icon, do you lose connectivity to the WAN? (I mean do you still have connectivity within the LAN, for instance, are you still able to receive a ping reply from the gateway or any other device when experiencing the issue?) in case you lose connection to both LAN and WAN do the LED lights on the ethernet port turn off?
  • Have you tried to re-install the operating system in order to rule out an OS issue?

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
chenks
Novice

can you advise why a BIOS recovery would make any difference? the BOIS is already on the current release version.

as this is a live production server you can understand why i am wary of doing anything to the BIOS and don't wish to re-install the operating system.

when the global icon shows it appears there is no WAN connectivity, but there also appears to be no LAN connectivity either (ie RDP is no possible when in this state).

all other devices work fine though - so this is NOT a network issue, this is a device issue.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello chenks,

Thank you for your response.

The BIOS recovery in some cases can help to get the NUC back to work properly there could be a corrupted file that can cause issues so doing this process might help with this issue.

I sent you a private message in order to collect some information.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
chenks
Novice

OK it just happened again, and i confirm there is no LAN connectivity at all.

but the lights on the ethernet port and the lights on the router are still on (both green and orange on NUC and green on router).

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello All,

This issue has been resolved by working directly with the community post originator, if your system is exhibiting the same behavior please contact Intel Customer Support, here is the contact us page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html". Feel free to reference this post once you reach out to Intel Customer Support.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
chenks
Novice

eh.. the issue has NOT been resolved as of yet, so the post above is quite misleading.

0 Kudos
chenks
Novice

to add to this, it seems all you have done is pass it on to someone who wants me to return the NUC for a warranty return.

clearly this is not suitable as it's being used as a production server.

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi chenks,

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with one of our products.

I reviewed your notes available on the forum, I also checked the log file and I see nothing wrong with that, BIOS and drivers are up-to-date (network driver is Intel ® Network Connections Version:"24.1.0.6") and the system is running Windows 10 which of course is compatible.

Having said that, can you please try the following ethernet driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=82186 version 24.3? This is our latest driver only for the ethernet controller form our Networking team.

In addition to that, if driver 24.3 still exhibits the same behavior, can you please provide a bit more information about the network environment?

On the other hand, my peer Adrian recommended transferring this issue over to local support in order to expedite issue resolution either by troubleshooting the system or by replacing it (if defective), we believe phone or chat interactions are usually more effective but that is up to you, we are here to help. I apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
chenks
Novice

i will try the driver.

the local support was 100% useless as they offered no support at all other than to want me to return the NUC for a warranty repair. they offered no support via phone or chat at all.

0 Kudos