Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

NVM update with system booted with PXE image

techie_chandu
Beginner

Recently while I wanted to flash my Intel E810-C-Q2 with the latest firmware, encountered the below error when I tried on ESXi which was PXE booted.

[root@my-esxi-lab:/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/E810/ESXi_x64] ./nvmupdaten64e

Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool
NVMUpdate version 1.37.13.5
Copyright(C) 2013 - 2021 Intel Corporation.

WARNING: To avoid damage to your device, do not stop the update or reboot or power off the system during this update.
Inventory in progress. Please wait [**........]

Num Description                          Ver.(hex)  DevId S:B    Status
=== ================================== ============ ===== ====== ==============
01) Intel(R) Ethernet 10G 4P X550/I350    n/a(n/a)   1563 00:026 Access error  
    rNDC                                                         
02) Intel(R) Ethernet Network Adapter     n/a(n/a)   1592 00:094 Access error  
    E810-C-Q2                                                    
03) Intel(R) Ethernet Network Adapter     n/a(n/a)   1592 00:216 Access error  
    E810-C-Q2                                                    

Tool execution completed with the following status: An error occurred accessing the device.
Press any key to exit.

As the above was unsuccessful, once I tried with an installed image of ESXi (instead of using PXE boot) - I was able to update NVM.

I'm interested to know the exact technical reason behind why with PXE booted system we are unable to update NVM of the device here?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello techie_chandu,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please allow us to check your request with our higher level support. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello techie_chandu,

Apologies for the confusion on this matter. 

Before we escalate the request to our engineers, kindly provide the following information that would help with the investigation.

1. Exact Operating System used

2. Please share the PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter. Please also be informed that we only have Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter E810-CQDA2 model of Ethernet adapter and not Intel E810-C-Q2. We will identify if you are using OEM version of Intel adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

3. Can you also confirm that the systems where you tested updating the NVM using the one with PXE Booted and ESXi were from 2 different systems?

4. Kindly confirm that the update package was downloaded from link below. If no, please share the link with us. 

Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) Update Utility for Intel® Ethernet Network Adapters E810 Series—VMware ESX*

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19628/non-volatile-memory-nvm-update-utility-for-intel-ethernet-network-adapters-e810-series-vmware-esx.html

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello techie_chandu,

Good day!

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to proceed checking your query. Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello techie_chandu,

How are you doing? 

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos