Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RWest4
Beginner

Need to downgrade "nvm" on Intel x710-DA2 10G ethernet card

As part of a problem investigation, I update the "nvm" / firmware on a couple of Intel X710-DA2 10G ethernet cards using the NVM Update package (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24769 Download NVM Update Utility for Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter XL710 & X710 Series) . The new firmware did not solve the problem and now I want to go back to the old firmware.

As part of the upgrade sequence, I had the software make a backup copy of the firmware. So I have a copy of the firmware, but I see no way to actually put that firmware back into the board. The NvmUpdateTool does not provide a downgrade / restore old firmware option. The software made directory with the old firmware (4MBytes labeled .bin and some other data - labeled .flb).

Now what?

Thanks,

Rob Westfall

Tags (1)
5 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Rob,

I will check on this.

rgds

wb

RWest4
Beginner

Any update on this?

I've got $1,200 worth of boards that I can't use because the production drivers don't work with the new firmware and I can't downgrade the new firmware to the backed up version of firmware that was saved when I did the firmware upgrade.

Yep, the StarTech 10G cards look better and better every day.

Rob

st4
New Contributor III

Hi RobWestfall,,

Further checking, I am sorry there is no way to downgrade the NVM on thte NIC.

rgds,

wb

idata
Community Manager

Thanks Rob for posting.

We also have an issue with our Intel X710-DA2 cards, FreeBSD 10.3, lagg0 setup with CARP (ixl0 ixl1) and realize the only difference for a working server versus another breaking is the version of the firmware.

Would be nice to have a way to downgrade firmware:

Currently using dev.ixl.0.fw_version: f5.0 a1.5 n05.02 e80002282 which breaks things.

Want to go back to dev.ixl.0.fw_version: nvm 4.53 etid 80001dc0 oem 0.0.0 version which seems to work.

Makes it scary to upgrade to any newer firmware without this capability.

wb_intel any thoughts?

Alvin

DMarq1
Beginner

I agree, this is completely inexcusable.