Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4852 Discussions

Network config or software throttling speeds?

RM_2988
Beginner

My desktop is running windows 10 (64 bit), my ISP is Frontier FIOS, and I recently upgraded my speeds to gigabit up/down. However, my desktop that is hard wired to the FIOS router with CAT6 cable won’t speed test higher than about 500 mb up/down. When I unplug my desktop and plug into a basic windows laptop, I get speeds 900-980 up/down. My NIC card is built into the Asus x-99 deluxe motherboard of my computer. My network adapter I’m plugged into is “Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection”. When right clicking on this in device manager to update the driver, windows says “The best drivers for your device are already installed”

I’ve updated BIOS and windows is up to date. I’ve installed and ran “Intel Proset Adapter Configuration Utility” and all cable, connection, and hardware tests are good. I also ran “Intel System Support Utility” and all looks good and it reads “1.00 Gbps Full Duplex”. My ping is 1ms via command prompt.

I contacted ASUS who was no help and suggested I call Intel. I contacted Intel who couldn’t figure it out and told me they would send my ISS.txt to engineering to see if they can figure it out, but I’m not holding my breath.

I’m curious if there is a windows configuration that could be throttling the speed which is nearly exactly 50% of what it should be? Or could there be software interfering and is there a way to troubleshoot this? Ideally, I’d like to boot in safe mode and run a speed test, but as far as I know that is not possible.

Any ideas?? Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, yet it almost seems like you are running Half Duplex. Are you directly plugged into the FIOS router or does something intervene?

...S

0 Kudos
RM_2988
Beginner
Scott, thanks for the quick comment. Yes, I’m plugged directly into the FIOS router.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

My son just upgraded his Frontier (Ziply Fiber) FIOS to 1Gb. I will check with him this weekend and see what performance he is getting...

...S

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello RM_2988,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We apologize for the delay in our response in this thread. Before we proceed, you mentioned that you already called Intel about this issue. can you provide the case number for us to check what happened?

And can you share the link of the last driver that you installed?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello RM_2988,

Just making a follow up on the information that we requested for us to further check the issue.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello RM_2988,

I am just sending another follow up on the information that we requested. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos