Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

New driver Killer E2500 v1 for Windows 11 support

imvagsig
Novice

Hello! 

When will Intel release a new driver for Killer E2500 v1 with full Windows 11 support?

The latest driver was released by Rivet Networks in yanuary 2020 (v9.0.0.50). Then Intel bought Rivet Networks and brazenly closed driver support for the E2500 v1.

Intel recently updated the driver for Killer E2500v2 to version 1168.002.0909.2021 in Killer Performance Suite 3.1121.1048. This driver adds support for RSC (Receive Segment Coalescing) and NetAdapterCx (Network Adapter WDF Class Extension).

I think it's not that hard to add similar support for Killer E2500v1.

If you (Intel, Rivet Networks) are not able to update the driver yourself, then ask Qualcomm Atheros for help.

Please pass the information to your Intel engineers so that they, together with Rivet Networks and Qualcomm Atheros, think about updating the driver to add support for RSC (Receive Segment Coalescing) and NetAdapterCx (Network Adapter WDF Class Extension).

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello imvagsig,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Since your issue is regarding our Killer E2500, we need to route this thread to the correct group so you will be better assisted by the proper team.

Please wait for their reply within 1 to 2 business days.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello imvagsig

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing driver issues with your Intel® Killer™ Ethernet E2500.

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it. You may find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. You can also find more information on the following website.

You can get the specifications and verify this product's discontinuance status at the Intel® Product Specifications website > Product Status > "Discontinued".  

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards,  

Hugo O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
imvagsig
Novice

Hello!

Why did Intel buy Rivet Networks and then brazenly shut down support for the E2500 v1 product?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

'Brazenly'? You've got to be kidding. This is a 2016 product, close to 7 years old. By today's standards, that's absolutely ancient. By Intel's standards, there isn't a chance in hades of them NOT discontinuing it.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
imvagsig
Novice

I have a 2018 laptop with an 8th generation processor. Your assumption is wrong about seven years, since the time must be counted from the moment the laptop goes into production.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, the part was introduced in 2016 and its design approaches 7 years of age. The fact that a 2018 laptop might have included this part means absolutely nothing (well, other than that the laptop manufacturer, likely to save itself some money, was using an older, cheaper part that had, in fact, already been superseded in Rivet's portfolio). Remember too that, not only didn't you ever have any warranty from Intel, you never had any warranty from Rivet Networks either! Your warranty - your only warranty -  was from the laptop manufacturer. When did this warranty expire? That's the day the obligation ends.

Look, I realize that I am being mercenary in my opinion here, but the naivety of your "I think it's not that hard to add similar support for Killer E2500v1" statement is ridiculous. While it's probably true that it's likely not that hard a set of modifications, the overall cost of doing so would still be measured in the many hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars. Where/how does Intel recoup this expenditure? Would they sell another couple hundred thousand of these parts? Not a chance.

...S

0 Kudos
imvagsig
Novice

Firstly, there were no analogues in 2018 for the Killer E2500v1 (Qualcomm Atheros) product. In 2018, this product was used in both laptops and motherboards released this year.

In 2019, an analogue of Killer E2500v2 (Realtek) was introduced and support is still being provided for this product.
The functionality I requested is easy to add.

Why write about a new sale when these products were previously sold in sufficient quantities to OEM manufacturers and they are used both in laptops and motherboards.

0 Kudos