Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

New version of Windows 10 2004, the same problem of vlan and nic teaming

GRamo20
Beginner

Basically the same problem as always when a new version of Windows 10 comes out, the proset's vlan and nic teaming functions stop working.

Unfortunately do we really have to live with this problem with every new major version of Windows?

0 Kudos
37 Replies
AlHill
Super User

"Unfortunately do we really have to live with this problem with every new major version of Windows?"

It does seem like it. However, I can tell you that this was reported and Intel is aware of the issue. To me, the bigger question is why Microsoft keeps breaking it with every revision, and why it seems like they do not work with Intel, and leave it to the user.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi GRamo20,

We would like to ask if you have any further questions regarding your concern.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
GRamo20
Beginner

Thanks for the return @AlfredS_Intel​ 

In the case of just this question, it is extremely annoying and complicated to get around these vlan and nic teaming problems with every major Windows update.

Some machines in the company will have to suffer a delay in updating the system, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"it is extremely annoying and complicated to get around these vlan and nic teaming problems with every major Windows update."

I could not agree more. In addition to your contact with Intel, are you raising your voice to let Microsoft know how disturbing it is for them to break the code with every release of W10? And, why they are not working with Intel to correct and insure that this is corrected during all of their fast and slow nose rings releases? Do they not have this issue on their list of problems with the release? These are the questions I have put forth to Microsoft before, with no answer. Now, with w10 2004 released after months and months of testing by Microsoft and the insiders, W10 is released with this problem and a host of other problems that somehow seem to have eluded their testing, or were deliberately skipped. And, we waited for months for this? I can sympathize with your feelings and those of the others on this thread, but this issue with Microsoft breaking the code at every release and ignoring it is disturbing. That they cannot seem to put this on their check list is embarassing. It is almost as if they are saying "hey, let's throw some s**t code out there. Then, make it Intel's problem to fix ".

Sorry, but to me the cause and correction of the problem is clearly with Microsoft and their lack of concern for those with VLANs and teaming issues. And, you know that some of the Microsoft employees and testers use these features, and are content to ignore the problems during ALL of these nose ring releases.

Just my opinion.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
GRamo20
Beginner

I have already contacted Microsoft a few times reporting these problems and the standard answer is that for them nic teaming is only supported on Windows Server editions and on vlan it depends exclusively on the nic manufacturer's driver.

They don't really care if each Windows client update breaks some function of the drivers.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

There is a lot Microsoft does not care about these days. One day, this attitude of theirs will come back to bite them where it hurts.

Doc

0 Kudos
fredless
Beginner

@AlfredS_Intel​  - I have further questions. This was reported here initially by me some months back as @Al.Hill​ already mentioned: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004Y7fHCSAZ/windows-10-20h1-v2004-vlans-broken-here-we-go-again. I also reported this to MSFT via the Insider program. No real response on either front.

At the time I reported, v2004 was in Insider's slow ring, so debatable as to whether we should expect this to work. But I was surprised that as Windows v2004 marched to GA we did not see a fix or this issue addressed anywhere. Was hopeful when I saw v25.1 post recently that it might correct the issue, but alas, it does not. I'm not sure what is behind these problems, but we have a number of workstations deployed with another vendor's Ethernet chipset, and those drivers do not seem to suffer from this issue every time we see a major new WIndows release.

Are teams at Intel working on a solution here?

0 Kudos
JTori1
Beginner

Hello,

I got the same issue :(

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Here the same. Updated to Win10 2004, reboot, no networks, no IPv4, no IPv6, no teaming. Typed in IPv4 and IPv6 addresses on one NIC, now it is working again with this adapter. The other adapter has to be physically disconnected otherwise MS networking gets confused. Thus no iANS no support in 25.0 Intel drivers. It is the same as always: MS releases a new version, it breaks networking, we have to completely reinstall both versions and finally wait for Intel iANS because they are never ready for new MS updates with their ProSet drivers. Cooperation btw. MS and Intel = nil.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi fredless,

Thank you for posting a comment on this thread.

Please allow us some time to check for updates with this concern.

While waiting for the updates, kindly specify the model of your Intel® Ethernet Adapter.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
JTori1
Beginner
0 Kudos
GRamo20
Beginner
0 Kudos
EJoch1
Beginner
0 Kudos
fredless
Beginner

we're dealing with I210 and an I219-LM (in an Intel NUC) here

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi fredless, JTori1, MSchn22, GRamo20, EJoch1,

Thank you for your responses.

To confirm your findings so far,  ANS for 20H1 is not supported in SW Release 25.1. ANS support including Teams and VLAN configuration will be available for Windows 20H1 with SW Release 25.1.1.

SW Release 25.1.1 will be available hopefully before the end of the month.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

AlfredoS_Intel

Hi fredless, JTori1, MSchn22, GRamo20, EJoch1,

Do you have any further questions or feedback?

Should we not hear from you, we will reach out again after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
fredless
Beginner

seems that we're now all waiting for 25.1.1 to release, right?

very glad to hear it's on the way, though it would have been good to have this underway before v2004 RTM'd. this was originally noticed nearly 6 months ago while v2004 was in beta. also hoping that this cycle does not continue to repeat, as it has for quite a few releases now.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi fredless,

Yes.

We appreciate your feedback and you do have a point. We will note this down.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
fredless
Beginner

Driver package version 25.1.1 did post recently and seems to have resolved the issue for our I210 and I219-LM NICs.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi fredless,

Thank you for the update.

For the other users, version 25.1.1 is already available. Please install it on your systems and see if it resolves your issue.

Looking forward to your replies, should we not hear from you, we will reach out after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos