Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

No LEDs on 10Gbps network adapter connected to Cyclone®10 GX FPGA Development Kit board

SGeor22
Novice
Hello.

I'm making an optical switch based on FPGA Cyclone 10GX, PHY – protocol 10GBASE-R.
Unfortunately when I connect it to PC - LEDs on PC's controller don't work.

Details:

PC-1(controller SFP+) => fibre cable — ch4PHY_RX-xgmii- ch3PHY_TX => fibre cable - PC-2(controller SFP+)

PC-1(controller SFP+)<= fibre cable — ch4PHY_TX-xgmii- ch3PHY_RX <= fibre cable - PC-2 (controller SFP+)

Result: — controllers (SFP+) on PC-1 and PC-2 don't light LEDs that fibre cable is connected. 

2.pc1-board-pc2.wrong.png

But when I connect controllers on PC-1 and PC-2 directly - all work well - LEDs work:

PC-1(controller SFP+) => fibre cable  => fibre cable - PC-2(controller SFP+)

PC-1(controller SFP+)<= fibre cable  <= fibre cable - PC-2 (controller SFP+)

1.pc1-pc2.ok.png

Question-1: Can  controller  SFP+ work in 10GBASE-W  mode (WIS packages of 10GBASE-R convert to frames compatible with SONET / SDH protocols) so there is no connection PC-1 - (FPGA_ 10GBASE-R) – PC-2 ?

Question-2: Can  GEARBOX mode of SFP+ controller ( 66bit=>40bit or 66bit=>32bit) affect to communication between SFP+ controller and FPGA Cyclone 10GX PHY – protocol 10GBASE-R ?

Question-3: Which GEARBOX mode is used SFP+ controller ( 66bit=>40bit or 66bit=>32bit) ?

ps-1. board schema and params are attached
ps-2. ssu output of Intel network controller is attached too

schema of my board:

3.board.png

parameters:
3.params-1.png3.params-2.png3.params-3.png3.params-4.png3.params-5.png
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SGeor22,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can you please share the exact model of your adapter and SFP+ module used? If possible, kindly share the PBA of the adapter and photos of the SFP. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SGeor22
Novice

Fibre cable model:

FK DX 50 3.0 PYC OR OPTICAL CABLE DUPLEX MM 50/125 3.0mm PYC 12/15 01 320M

0 Kudos
SGeor22
Novice

Adapter photos:
(PBA-num: E68793-002)

adapteradapteradapter's PBA numadapter's PBA num

adapter.back-sideadapter.back-side

SFP:

connector.jpeg

Connector on a board from development kit:

board.connector-num.jpegboard.jpeg

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SGeor22,

Thank you for the quick reply and for providing the pictures of the components that you used. By the way, let me share this link for the compatible cable and module for Network Adapter X520 Series.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005528/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Upon checking, the module that you are using is not compatible with the Network card. Please go to this link and search for the compatible components of FTLX8574D3BCV-IT.

https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Intel%C2%AE%20Ethernet#

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
SGeor22
Novice

Hello Michael, 

Thank you for the quick reply and for providing two useful links.

One more time about my equipment:

a) Ethernet adapter is Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X520-DA1 with product code E10G41BTDA.

b) SFP module has product code E10GSFPSR ( supplier part num is FTLX8574D3BCVIT)

SGeor22_2-1627593977530.png

> Upon checking, the module that you are using is not compatible with the Network card. 

But seems your conclusion is not quite right.

1)

> By the way, let me share this link for the compatible cable and module for Network Adapter X520 Series.

> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005528/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products...

> Upon checking, the module that you are using is not compatible with the Network card. 

Look at the tables below (got from the first link):

Intel® Ethernet SFP SR and LR Optics​

Name Product Code or Part Number Supplier Part Numbers Type
Intel® Ethernet SFP SR Optics E10GSFPSR FTLX8571D3BCVIT1

Dual Rate 10GBASE-SR/1000BASE-SX

Which adapters of the Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X520 Series support Intel® Ethernet SFP+ Optics and SFP+ direct attach cables?

All adapters in the Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X520 Series support Intel Ethernet SFP+ Optics, and SFP+ direct attach cables.

Supported adapters are listed in the table.

Product code Product name Ports and included optics Windows* Device Manager name
E10G42BTDA Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X520-DA2 Dual-port. Does not ship with any optics or cables Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter X520-2

At the last line of the table we can see that a network adapter with dual port ( product code E10G42BTDA) and SFP module  FTLX8571D3BCVIT1 are compatible.

There is no data of my adapter ( product code E10G41BTDA single-port) and my SFP module FTLX8574D3BCVIT1.
( clarifying the difference for network adapter: '42' for dual-port, '41' for single-port. Clarifying the difference for SFP module: 8571 in the table, 8574 - my module )

but seems  adapters are the same except dual port vs single port.

2)

> Please go to this link and search for the compatible components of FTLX8574D3BCV-IT.

> https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Intel%C2%AE%20Ethernet#

Unfortunately this link doesn't have any Intel Ethernet 500 series ( list is empty).
Seems it is incorrect:

SGeor22_1-1627593568700.png

So when I enter in "Search" id of SFP ( FTLX8574D3BCVIT  ) it shows 700 and 800 series but no 500.

My conclusion: there is no convincing evidences that my network adapter is not compatible with my SFP module.

Especially on test-stand Network Adapter X520 with SFP+ module works stable with direct connection between two PC (have the same network equipment) and through network infrastructure (optical switches / communicators).

Let me clarify the original question:

A chip of a network adapter implements MAC level and PHY (physical) level of Ethernet.
Parameters of PHY level are defined by 10GBASE-R protocol. Very likely that these parameters on a network adapter and FPGA chip are different, so the network connection between PC and FPGA can't be established.

PHY parameters on FPGA are available, but  PHY parameters of network adapter aren't available.

Could you advise me which tools can be used to obtain PHY parameters for my Intel network adapter ?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SGeor22,

Thank you for the update. For now, let me check the main inquiry about the tool that you are asking. Please give us 2 to 3 working days to provide an update on this.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SGeor22,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

The "PHY" information that you requested is located in Intel® 82599 10 Gigabit Ethernet Controller: Datasheet. This can be downloaded from link below.

Intel® 82599 10 Gigabit Ethernet Controller: Datasheet 331520 

Datasheet: This document describes the external architecture (including device operation, pin descriptions, register definitions, etc.) for the Intel® 82599, a dual 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) Network Interface Controller. (v.3.4, Nov. 2019)

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/331520

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications. 

Awaiting to hear from you.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SGeor22
Novice

Hello,

Thank you for this information.

I need some time to get through this huge spec.  I'll let you know if I have additional question.

Thanks a lot again.

Best regards, Serg

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Serg,

Thank you for the swift response.

No worries at all, you may take your time. 

We will patiently wait for your update on this matter and make another follow up after 3 business days to give you enough time on this.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Serg,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you have additional questions or clarifications on this matter. If you do, please let us know and we will be glad to check on it.

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Serg,

How are you doing? 

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos