Observed strange behavior on Fortville NICs

Harish_V
Beginner

Hi Team, 

Hope all of you are doing well !!

We have below connections at compute node : 

Fortville NIC port1 <---> Traffic Generator port 1 

Fortville NIC port2 <---> Niantic NIC port 1 

While checking the above connections , I could observe one strange behavior with Fortville NIC : 

1. when i make the Fortville NIC port 1 down then Traffic Generator port 1 is still up whereas vice-versa operation is fine 

2. when i make the Fortville NIC port 2 down then Niantic NIC port 1 is still up whereas vice-versa operation is fine 

Could you please suggest is this strange behavior is a limitation on Fortville NICs ?

Regards, 

Harish 

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Harish_V,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the following information that would help in checking your request.

1.) How many NICs are affected? 

2.) Will you be able to share the PBA and serial number of the adapter? You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. Providing photos of the adapter focusing on the markings (white sticker) found on the physical card will be highly appreciated for us to double check on it. The PBA consists 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

3.) Can you share the software/tool used when observing this behavior? 

4.) Will you be able to provide additional information about your setup/environment? Like system model, what is the use of the system, driver/firmware version of the adapter and Operating System used? 

We look forward to your reply.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Harish_V
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Please find my inline answers below :

1.) How many NICs are affected?

[Harish_V] : One NIC

2.) Will you be able to share the PBA and serial number of the adapter? You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. Providing photos of the adapter focusing on the markings (white sticker) found on the physical card will be highly appreciated for us to double check on it. The PBA consists 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products...

[Harish_V] :  Not able to access physical card at present.

3.) Can you share the software/tool used when observing this behavior?

[Harish_V] :  I am checking link status with the help of "ip link show "

4.) Will you be able to provide additional information about your setup/environment? Like system model, what is the use of the system, driver/firmware version of the adapter and Operating System used?

[Harish_V] :

Operating system info :

Linux compute 4.4.0-91-generic #114~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 9 08:47:26 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

NIC details :

driver: i40e
version: 2.1.26
firmware-version: 5.40 0x80002e8c 18.0.14
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes

For NIC 1 interface 1 :

Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+ (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Ethernet 10G 2P X710 Adapter
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 274

For NIC 2 Interface 2 :

Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+ (rev 01)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710

Thanks & Regards, 

Harish 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Harish_V,

Thank you for providing the information requested.

Just a clarification, you mentioned that there is only one NIC affected. But based on your statement below, it looks like there are 2 NICs involved. Can you please clarify if the behavior was observed on 2 NICs below and only one of them is having the issue? 

For NIC 1 interface 1 :

For NIC 2 Interface 2 :

Awaiting to hear from you.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Harish_V
Beginner

Hi Crisselle, 

Sorry , that was typo.

There is only one NIC interface . It should be : 

For NIC 1 interface 1 :

For NIC 1 Interface 2 :

Thanks & Regards, 

Harish 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Harish_V,

No problem at all. Thank you for the clarification.

While we are checking on this, is it possible to provide System Support Utility log from the system? This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the link below for the instructions. 

Help Guide for the Intel® System Support Utility

Intel® System Support Utility Process>Linux* process

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/software/software-applications.html

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Harish_V,

How are you doing?

Please provide the information requested that would help us in further investigating your request.

Awaiting to your reply. 

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Harish_V
Beginner

Hi Crisselle, 

I am doing great !!

Is is possible to troubleshoot the issue without the System Utility log from the system ?

We don't have access to those logs. 

Thanks & Regards, 

Harish 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Harish,

Thank you for the prompt reply. 

We understand that you don't have access to extract the logs. Please allow us to continue checking on this. Rest assured that we will provide an update as soon as there is any findings but no later than 2-3 business days. If in any case that we require the logs, we will let you know.

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Harish,

Good day!

Can you please confirm if we understand your request below. 

Fortville NIC port1 is connected to Traffic Generator port 1 

Fortville NIC port2 is connected to Niantic NIC port 1 

While checking the above connections , strange behavior with Fortville NIC can be observed such as: 

1. When Fortville NIC port 1 is down then Traffic Generator port 1 is still up whereas vice-versa operation is fine. 

2. When Fortville NIC port 2 is down then Niantic NIC port 1 is still up whereas vice-versa operation is fine 

Will you be able to share more information on vice versa operation? Have you tried updating the driver to latest version and see if you still have the same result above? 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24411/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-PCIe-40-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Connections-Under-Linux-

We cannot ask you to update the firmware yet as we are not able to determine if you are using a Retail or OEM version of Intel Ethernet Adapter. The Firmware that can be downloaded on our our site is intended for Retail adapters only.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Harish_V
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Please find the below information related to vice versa operation : 

1. When we make Traffic Generator port 1 down then Fortville NIC port 1 is going down 

2.  When we make Niantic NIC port 1 down then Fortville NIC port 2 is going down.

The above operations worked fine and we expect the same. 

Moreover, We didn't tried after upgrading the driver version to latest as we don't have access to do so. 

Thanks & Regards, 

Harish

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Harish,

Thank you for the reply.

We understand that you don't have access to the system to be able to try the latest driver. With this, please allow us to continue checking. Rest assured that we will provide an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Harish,

Good day!

While we are checking on this, do you happen to know or have a record of the exact model of SFP module used on this setup? 

Awaiting to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Harish_V
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Please find the below requested details : 

Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+ [8086:1572] (rev 01)

Thanks & Regards,

Harish

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Harish,

Thank you for the reply.

I believe this is not the model of your SFP+ optical module. You may refer to link below for sample product code of SFP modules.

Compatible SFP+ Modules, SFP Modules, and Cables for Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter X710 Series

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007045/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

But don't worry, we can skip this for now and we will let you know once needed. Please allow us to continue checking on this. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 1-3 business days.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Harish,

Good day!

As the issue is quite unusual, we'd like to check if it is possible to try close loop? Connect the cable from port 1 to port 2 on same X710 card for further isolation. If this is not possible due to access limitation, please advise so we can check further. 

Awaiting to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Harish_V
Beginner

Hi Crisselle, 

The operation you have requested might be possible but at present the NIC is getting used for other purpose. So we cannot access it now. 

Could you please go ahead with further analysis. 

Meanwhile if possible i will do the operation and let you know. 

Thanks & Regards, 

Harish 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Harish,

We understand that the NIC is being used for other purpose. I will let our engineers know about this and please allow us to continue with the investigation. 

Rest assured that we will keep you posted and get back to you within 1-3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Harish,

Apologies for the delay.

We have heard from our engineers and they also suggested to try close loop. With this, will you be able to test it out by connecting the cable from port 1 to port 2 on same X710 card for further isolation? You may also perform other connection tests if needed. They would also like to check when the device shows up, does it still pass traffic?

I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Harish_V
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Trying the loop connection is not possible now because the NIC is involved in other testing activity. 

Moreover, We are using this NIC in our testing activities and we are able to pass traffic successfully. The only concern is why link state is not working properly when we make down this interface whereas the vice versa operation is fine

Thanks & Regards, 

Harish 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Harish,

Based on your observation, can you share if the device still shows up and does it still pass traffic when the Traffic Generator port and Niantic NIC port still detected an active port even though it was down?

Hoping to hear from you. 

In case we don't receive a reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos