Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

Obsolete driver for (2) I219-LM on Windows Update for Windows 7 ?

idata
Employee

Hi,

I have read somewhere that Intel is NOT (directly) responsible for whatever Intel driver Microsoft is pushing through Windows update.

However I would like to ask a question, after a bit of context.

I have business laptop configured Windows 7 Enterprise, x64, SP 1:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

absolutely up to date.

The wired network is built with

"Intel® Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM"

so I have installed latest version of

"Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows 7 / ProWin64.exe"

which is Version: 21.1 (Latest) Date: 10/11/2016

the specific version on the file driver as shown in Device Manager being: 12.15.23.7 dated 07/26/2016

So far so good.

Then why Microsoft Windows Update for Windows 7 keeps pushing a obsolete driver dated November 2015 update with the following description:

Intel - LAN, LAN (Server) - Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM

Download size: 731 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

Intel LAN, LAN (Server) software update released in November, 2015

I mean even if it is optional, what is the point ? because it is definitely confusing.

What do you think ?

Please advise.

Hassan

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Hassan,

Thank you for posting in Wired Ethernet Communities.

Prior to updating to driver version 12.15.23.7, what is your previous driver version? Is it older than the one recommended by Windows update?

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Vince,

thanks very much for the follow up.

if your question is really about the version of the driver on this laptop BEFORE I upgraded manually to 12.15.2.23.7 the honest answer is : it was the release N-1 of your driver.

But here is the thing:

this is a corporate laptop, I got it last simmer 2016, and I immediatly updated ALL Intel drivers with your latest versions available at that time ( 2016), and I kept them always up to date since then.

What was the version of the driver when I got this laptop for the 1st time, I don't know because I did NOT pay attention. I can probably look on colleague laptop that is never updated to find out.

But the fact is, that 'annoying' suggestion from Windows Update is there for quite a while now, and no matter what driver I have on my laptop, it does NOT go away.

what do you think ?

please advise.

Best Regards.

Hassan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Hassan,

When windows update runs, is it connected to your corporate network? one possibility is your corporate network has a Windows server update services that pushes updates to client systems and the driver stored in that update services is the obsolete driver you mentioned.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Vince,

I fully understand your question, but my response is kind of tricky, because using some registry hack, I am by-passing our corporate windows update servers (which are never up to date) to directly access the real Microsoft Windows Update servers.

I am using that trick since day 1 I got that laptop, and doing it at HOME or in the OFFICE (I have to re-register the 'reg' file all the time, because our corporate GPO reset the original setting every time I boot on the corporate network) does not make any difference, I always see that update showing up.

so for it it seems it is really Microsoft who is pushing that update.

On a second though, I did NOT try to clean/wipe out my Windows Update cache to see what will happen.

I'll check today, and I let you know.

Please stand by?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Vince,

me again.

After cleaning the Windows Update cache on my Windows 7 as explained in the following link:

http://ccm.net/faq/2471-how-to-purge-the-windows-update-cache How To Purge the Windows Update Cache

I confirm the obsolete driver update is still there.

Don't know what to think about it.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
KL2
Valued Contributor I

Although I don't remember the exact driver version pulled down from Windows Update off of the top of my head, I see the same thing on ASUS Q170M-C, and ASUS Prime B250M-C on Windows 10. I install the newest Ethernet CD package from Intel (21.1), then Windows Update "updates" the I219-LM / I219-V driver to a version from 2015.

All I do is rollback the driver to the one that I originally installed in Device Manager. Windows Update doesn't try updating the NIC with the older version of the driver since it's still present in Windows, but it isn't the active driver for the NIC.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gize2,

First of all, thanks for confirming this behavior is real.

Second, thanks for your workaround that I personally find intriguing...

I think I will forward that incident to Micro$oft.

Thanks very much again.

Hassan

0 Kudos
KL2
Valued Contributor I

I powered up an ASUS Q170M-C with Windows 10 to find out the driver it was downloading from Windows Update. Screenshots below of the details and differences in the 'E1D' driver included in the Intel 21.1 LAN package vs. the Microsoft Update version.

Driver support is determined by a hardware ID.

For example, the (2) I219-LM generic device ID is:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B7

The Intel 21.1 package contains that generic device ID, plus a couple others.

The package downloaded from Microsoft Update goes farther into the SUBSYS part of the ID, like this:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B7&SUBSYS_86861043

So, I believe a SUBSYS value in the driver supersedes a generic non-SUBSYS specific driver. I see the same deal on laptops when using generic Intel graphics drivers vs. a specific Intel graphics driver provided by the manufacturer.

Anyways, screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/bTBsH http://imgur.com/a/bTBsH

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

as I said: intriguing :-)

thanks

0 Kudos