Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Offboard Lan Card Driver Does Not Install

JAugu4
Beginner

Hi, folks, how's everyone?

So, I have a problem here. I have the Asus m4a79t deluxe motherboard and last week a big storm hit here and my onboard Lan fried. My luck was that it was the only thing that burned, so I bought a offboard adapter, the intel gigabit pci pro1000gt pwla8391gt.

I installed it on the idle PCI slot, turned on the PC and the windows gave me the message that the device "intel pro / 1000 gt desktop adpter" can not be installed, so that's good.. it means Windows recognized the card but does not have the driver to install it. So I went online, found this intel site (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/50480/Intel-PRO-1000-GT-Desktop-Adapter) clicked on the first link, the most complete one: Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack, version 24.0, the newest. I ran the setup, but it than tells me that the driver can not be installed because there is no compatible device on the PC... what?!

So, that's the problem, people. Does anyone have any light on what I can do here?

Obs: I use Windows 7 64

Obs2: There's a print attached here, it shoes my Device Manager. On Lan Adapters, it lists a wifi device, the one I'm using right now to use the internet. But right above it, it's the intel one, but it says it's working properly (but it's not) and the date of the driver it's from 2008, so it's probably one that comes with the windows.. but it said It couldn't install it when I first boot it!.. I'm very confused.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mike_Intel

Hello JAugu4,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

I am sorry to hear what happened in your area and with your system. I hope everything is okay. Regarding the detection problem of Intel® PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter, I suggest that you contact the manufacturer of the board. We don't know the extent of the damage of the board and that is one of the possible cause why there is a detection problem. You may contact Asus to further troubleshoot your board and to avoid further issues if your board is indeed damaged by the storm. You may start by opening the link below and contact their support.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A79T_Deluxe/HelpDesk/

And also, your NIC supports only inbox drivers for Windows. These are drivers from Microsoft and there is no Intel driver for Windows 7 for your NIC. Driver version 24.0 does not support pwla8391GT in Windows 7. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005519/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Checking on the device manager information that you provided, the device is working fine and seems to be installed properly but you mentioned there was error message of "intel pro / 1000 gt desktop adapter can not be installed". Based on the tech spec of Asus m4a79t, there are two PCI slots available on this board, you may try move the pwla8391GT on another pci slot and check.

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Maybe the onboard LAN wax not all that was affected by the storm?

Doc

0 Kudos
JAugu4
Beginner

Hi! Thank you for the answer!

Now, the reason I said it fried was because its led light, the one that keeps blinking when there's activity - it sits right next where you plug the internet cable - suddenly stopped blinking (along with my internet connectivity) during the storm and immediately alter a very loud noise coming from the streets. The kind of noise you hear when a lightning strikes a light pole. So all that concluded to me that I don't have a onboard lan anymore. But I have wifi, so my internet modem and router is doing fine. But I just can't get this offboard card to work and it's led light isn't blinking either -\

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Are you able to test the LAN card in a different motherboard?

Doc

0 Kudos
JAugu4
Beginner

No I can not. My PC is the only one available... But it appears on the Device Manager, so it's functional.. right?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, there could still be problems. Even with the PC shut down, you should still see blinking leds on the lan card, or your onboard lan, with the lan cable plugged in.

Doc

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello JAugu4,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

I am sorry to hear what happened in your area and with your system. I hope everything is okay. Regarding the detection problem of Intel® PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter, I suggest that you contact the manufacturer of the board. We don't know the extent of the damage of the board and that is one of the possible cause why there is a detection problem. You may contact Asus to further troubleshoot your board and to avoid further issues if your board is indeed damaged by the storm. You may start by opening the link below and contact their support.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A79T_Deluxe/HelpDesk/

And also, your NIC supports only inbox drivers for Windows. These are drivers from Microsoft and there is no Intel driver for Windows 7 for your NIC. Driver version 24.0 does not support pwla8391GT in Windows 7. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005519/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Checking on the device manager information that you provided, the device is working fine and seems to be installed properly but you mentioned there was error message of "intel pro / 1000 gt desktop adapter can not be installed". Based on the tech spec of Asus m4a79t, there are two PCI slots available on this board, you may try move the pwla8391GT on another pci slot and check.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello JAugu4,

We just want to check if you have additional questions or clarifications, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JAugu4
Beginner

Hi, everyone! Thank you all for the answers!

So, I went ahead and tried what you guys suggested me, but since I don't have another PC to test the card, I managed to go to a friends house a few days ago and tested the card on his PC. The card works, all blinking, connecting and stuff. Then I tried again in my PC, but in a different PCI slots.. but guess, same problem.

But on this moment I had the idea to change to another connector slot behind my modem. It has 4 slots, in case you want to build a small house Lan. One of those slots is currently being used by my wifi router, so I had 2 slots open. I chose one and "Bingo!" I have internet cable connection, the card is blinking and the internet is flowing... kind of. My joyful moment was short lived because it's highly unstable. -\

Apparently the modem' slot I was using also burned during the storm, but now the cable connection comes and goes as it seems fit. Sometimes I'll have connectivity for 2 to 3 hours, other times it won't last 15 minutes. And I hardly get a warning too, most of the time the pages just stop loading, other times I get the small yellow exclamation point on top of the cable connection icon on the tray, next to the clock. Then what I do to get conectivity back is to pull the power cable from the modem for like 10 seconds and plugging back again, this works for like 90% of the time, but of course, it won't last. My wifi suffers form the same issue too.. And it I left untouched for like a hour or so, it will sometimes reconnect again by itself.

Now the weird thing is even though I have uninstalled my TP-LINK wifi driver (the one I was using to connect to the internet before), the name of my internet connection now is the same of my wifi one, but I'm currentely on cable (and when I get the yellow exclamation point, if I move the cursor over the internet icon, it will show 2 conections, both telling that I don't have acess. Its very wierd and I attached a print in here about this).

So I don't know if this has something to do with it.. I don't know it this is a configuration issue of my Windows or the card. But then again, the verson 24.0 of the driver is not for Win7, right? Do you guys know which one is? There's a lot of different versions on the download page.. I could try another, maybe it will work. Other than that, I short of ideas to try.

Thank you all again!

duplicado.png

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello JAugu4,

I am sorry, as per the link that I gave, those are the drivers that we have and the driver only have Inbox support. My suggestion is try contacting your board manufacturer and also check all of your components including the cables and the routers.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello JAugu4,

Just want to check if you already contacted the manufacturer of the board and if they already assisted you on this one.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello JAugu4,

We just want to check if you still have questions or clarifications, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos