Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Onboard Intel X540-T2 disappears when connected directly to another 10GBe X540-T2 PCIe Device

DSpre1
Beginner

Hi Intel Folks I have a very strange Problem:

I got a Supermicro X9SRH-7TF Mainboard which comes with 2 Onboard 10GBe Ports through an X540-T2 Chipset. For about a year I had those two ports connected to a 1GBe Switch and everything was just fine. I got another Server which I recently added a 10GBe X540-T2 PCIe Card. I initially only connected the Servers physically without assigning IP Addresses within their Windows Server 2012 R2 OS. Then I was away for a week or something, came back and both 10 GBe Onboard Ports first showed up having trouble (Error Code 43) until after some trying to reapply the Intel PRO Driver Package (v18.7) they degraded to unknown Communication Device in the device Manager.

This is all I have from the Windows Event Logs: http://pastebin.com/pY9dfTtA Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-UserPnp Date: - Pastebin.com

The Server with the PCIe 10GBe Card shows as connectivity "Disconnected" on the 10GBe Ports since the first server decided to not like those 2 Onboard Ports anymore.

This also is reproducable: In the meantime I've exchanged the Mainboard since I thought those onboard ports are screwed up but it's the same with the new Mainboard. I'm not sure where to look for this Problem (BIOS, Drivers, something else?) so I hope for your help asides my request towards SuperMicro.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
CMert
Beginner

I have the exact same motherboard, and I'm having the exact same problem. Did you ever get it fixed? What's the solution?

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi DinoRS,

Thank you for the post. With regards to the two onboard NIC, have you check with Supermicro for any BIOS upgrade on the board (understand this is a new board already) and updated the driver.

For the standalone X540-T2, have you try using latest driver downloadable at dhttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21694/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2012-?product=58954 ownload Network Adapter Driver for Windows Server 2012*

I will check further on the logs.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
CMert
Beginner

I just updated/flashed the BIOS to the newst one. I uninstalled drivers and reinstalled the newest ones from Intel's website onto the server and workstation. Everything runs fine on 1 wire or the other, but NOT on both at the same time. The minute(60 seconds after) I plug in the 2nd port on the NIC, the x540 disappears. Windows says it has an error, then says it's been removed.

Here's the message in the event viewer.

"Miniport Intel(R) Ethernet Controller X540-AT2, {6f4e311c-0536-46ac-8828-9686b3601c45}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error"

0 Kudos
CMert
Beginner

I think I solved the problem. I'm thinking the x540 chip was getting too hot because I put 2 fans blowing on the heat sinks and now it doesn't disappear anymore when I run both channels. Thanks

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Woodgrain,

Thank you for the update. Glad you found the fix.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
CMert
Beginner

It seems like the 10gb onboard network card disappears when it reaches almost 160 degrees F. It's hard to keep it under that temperature unless I only use 1 cable, or blow my fans at full speed. It's pretty frustrating. Even with 1 cable connected, it's about 157F. Do you have any other suggestions wb_Intel? When the dual 10gbe errors and disappears, the temperature on the motherboard drops to 127F.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Woodgrain,

Thank you for the clarification. I have not heard of this issue, and I would suggest you to contact Supermicro to check on the onboard NIC as this is embedded on the system. They are in better position to check on the overal system performance and make necessary changes.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos