Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4876 Discussions

PEF7071 - RGMII not working

Gerard
Novice

Hello,

I've been trying to work with the PEF7071, I tried some firmware in the Cyclone 10 LP Evaluation board and everything works correctly, but when implementing the same firmware to our custom board we're having problems to make it work.

This is the schematic of our board:

schematic.PNG

NOTE IMPORTANT!!: This schematic is and old revision, the actual PCB has two important changes. Pin 43 is now connected to ENET_SCL, pin 44 is now connected to ENET_SDA. We have added a capacitor between GND_E and resistors R102, R103, R104 & R105. These are not mistakes anymore.

We've checked all the voltages of the board and everything seems alright, we have 2.5V at the chip and 1V generated from the circuit coming from REGO.

The MDIO is working (we're using and FPGA to talk with the chip) and we've checked the registers, I don't have the results, but if required I can send all the register values next week, for now I only have these ones (all of them except for the extended ones):

Gerard_0-1602869441345.png

We've been comparing the behaviour of the chip with the one of your evaluation board and we've found some weird stuff around the transformer/RJ-45/TPI signals. When doing a reset we first see this (these are the TDI Differential signals A, B, C & D):

TD1_DIFF.png

The signal gets stuck there, but at random moments we see an increase in consumption and the see something like this:

TD2_DIFF.png

But it doesn't last more than 1s, when looking at the Cyclone 10 we also see the first picture after reset but shortly after we start receiving signals like in picture 2. I don't know if this can help solve the problem.

Thank you for your time,

Gerard

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Gerard, 

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We've sent a private email to be able to gather some personal information. Please check your inbox. 

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ssigala
Beginner

Hello Gerard,

We have problems on a PEF7071 design too.

In your case there maybe a wrong interconnection of transformer and jack pins. Your connection:

CaptureA.PNG

Pair A is correctly connected to pins 1 & 2

Pair B should be connected to pins 3 & 6

Pair C should be connected to pins 4 & 5

Pair D is correctly connected to pins 7 & 8

CaptureC.PNG

Hope that helps.

Sergio

0 Kudos
Gerard
Novice

Hello Sergio,

That solved our problem, Thank you! 

We didn't saw that the pins were not in order, we've made a custom Ethernet cable and we are able to achieve a link with it.

Thanks again,

Gerard.

0 Kudos