Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

PXE-E7B: Missing MTFTP Server IP Address

dnegtech
Beginner

Hi,

We have a number of server blades that are failing to pxe boot with the following message:

PXE-E7B: Missing MTFTP server IP address

PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel boot agent

The ethernet controller is an i350.

I can't see a packet being received by the server from the client (filtering on MAC address of the client). The ethernet port functions as both a management (IPMI) port as well as an interface on the host OS, with separate MAC addresses for each function. The MAC address for the management function shows up in the MAC address table on the switch, but not for the host MAC. The Intel boot agent shows the MAC address as it attempts to PXE boot.

However, if I enable UEFI boot on the device, it is able to PXE boot (though we don't have an EFI boot image for it). Why might this be? The version  is 'Intel boot agent GE v1.5.13'. I've tried to update it, but it is not listed as supported (not sure if these i350's built into the motherboard have flash memory?)

Thanks for any suggestions!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello dnegtech,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We would like to ask some further questions to better understand your situation, please provide the following;

1. Since you are referring to an i350 ethernet controller can we ask the mother board/ server board that you are using for this?

2. Are you also experiencing any connection issues?

3. Was the ethernet controller working before?

4. Have you made some changes prior getting the error?

Also we'd like to set your expectation that for Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Ethernet controller, we have limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with the manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. But don't worry as we will still provide our best effort support to help you resolve the issue. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello dnegtech,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to proceed checking your query. Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
dnegtech
Beginner

Hi Zigfried,

Thanks for your reply. Answers to your questions below.

>1. Since you are referring to an i350 ethernet controller can we ask the mother board/ server board that you are using for this?

It's a Supermicro X9-DRT

>2. Are you also experiencing any connection issues?

No

>3. Was the ethernet controller working before?

No

4. Have you made some changes prior getting the error?

No

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello dnegtech,

Thank you for providing us the information that we have asked. Please provide us some time to have this check. Would it be okay if we can provide an update between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day! 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello dnegtech,

We are still currently checking on your case however we would like to ask for some additional information, please advise us of the following;

1. Did you encounter the issue on first integration?

2. What is the Operating System installed?

3. Have you already doublechecked the switch if it is plugged and configured and also the VLANs so it can properly pull an IP?

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
dnegtech
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

Thanks for the reply. Answers below:

>1. Did you encounter the issue on first integration?

I'm not quite sure what is meant by 'first integration', but if it means the first time it was powered up and put on the network since we received it, yes. 

>2. What is the Operating System installed? 

We would normally install Linux on this hardware, but as we install the operating system via PXE, we haven't yet got the operating system installed. I have however booted one of the affected machines of a USB installer using a 'live' distribution, and it picks up a DHCP address fine. The problem is limited to not being able to PXE boot.

>3. Have you already doublechecked the switch if it is plugged and configured and also the VLANs so it can properly pull an IP?

Yes, the ports for the units that are not able to PXE boot are configured the same as the ports for the units that are able to PXE boot. I have swapped the cable from one of the units that isn't able to PXE boot into a switch port that was being used by a unit that was able to PXE boot, and there was no change.

I'm beginning to wonder whether using the ethernet port on the server as a dual use IPMI and OS port can lead to flaky behaviour. Most other servers we have use a dedicated management port. The benefit of have a dual use port is saving ports on the switch (just need to configure two VLANs on the switch port), and for the majority of these machines, it works just fine, but I can't work out why it doesn't for some of them. 

Regards,

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello dnegtech,

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to proceed checking your query. Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello dnegtech,

Thank you very much for answering the follow up questions that we asked. Please provide us some time to have this further check. Would it be okay if we can ask between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello dnegtech,

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
dnegtech
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

2-3 days is no problem at all, I'll await you response.

Kind regards,

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello dnegtech,

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update again today, as the case is escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
dnegtech
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

No problem, that's fine.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello dnegtech,

Thank you for understanding and we do apologize again for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello dnegtech,

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello dnegtech,

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello dnegtech,

Firstly we do apologize for the delay and for any inconvenience that we may have caused. As per checking with our engineers since you are using an onboard controller which is an OEM, the OEM controls the driver, firmware and the product quality. We would advise you to have this check further with Supermicro since our engineers have detected that this could be a faulty configuration issue. Your board manufacturer would still be the best source of support. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello dnegtech,

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello dnegtech,

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos