Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

PXE-EC8:!PXE structure was not found in UNDI driver code segment XL710

Zym
Beginner

Hi We have issue with PXE boot, Ubuntu 18.04 kernel 5.4.70-050470-generic, We have updated the latest Intel XL710 i40e-2.18.9, iavf-4.4.2, NVM 8.60, but we still have the PXE boot issue with the error.  EFI boot was also tried but problem remains, Thanks.

ubuntu@ai-srv7:~$ ethtool -i ens5f0
driver: i40e
version: 2.18.9
firmware-version: 8.60 0x8000bd7c 1.3140.0
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:01:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes

ubuntu@ai-srv7:~/nic_sw$ ethtool ens5f0
Settings for ens5f0:
Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]
Supported link modes: 40000baseCR4/Full
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 40000baseCR4/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 40000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Direct Attach Copper
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: off
Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: Operation not permitted
Current message level: 0x0000000f (15)
drv probe link timer
Link detected: no

ubuntu@ai-srv7:~$ modinfo iavf
filename: /lib/modules/5.4.70-050470-generic/updates/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/iavf/iavf.ko
version: 4.4.2
license: GPL
description: Intel(R) Ethernet Adaptive Virtual Function Driver
author: Intel Corporation, <linux.nics@intel.com>
alias: i40evf
srcversion: 4E31961A3DD52B66F0C79BD
alias: pci:v00008086d00000DD5sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00008086d00001889sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00008086d000037CDsv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00008086d00001571sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v00008086d0000154Csv*sd*bc*sc*i*
depends: auxiliary
retpoline: Y
name: iavf
vermagic: 5.4.70-050470-generic SMP mod_unload

sudo ./bootutil64e
Intel(R) Ethernet Flash Firmware Utility
BootUtil version 1.37.34.3
Copyright (C) 2003-2021 Intel Corporation

Type BootUtil -? for help

Port Network Address Location Series WOL Flash Firmware Version
==== =============== ======== ======= === ============================= =======
1 3CFDFEAA3CA8 1:00.0 40GbE N/A UEFI,PXE Enabled 1.1.31
2 3CFDFEAA3CA9 1:00.1 40GbE N/A UEFI,PXE Enabled 1.1.31
3 0CC47ADF14D2 5:00.0 10GbE YES FLASH Not Present
4 0CC47ADF14D3 5:00.1 10GbE YES FLASH Not Present

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zym,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We would like to ask for some information on your Intel XL710 i40e. Can you advise us if you are using a discreet ethernet adapter for this or an embedded controller. 

If you are using a discreet network adapter please provide us a photo of the markings both front and back for us to validate if you are using a retail card or OEM card. However, if you are using an embedded controller can you advise us the exact model of your mother board that you are using before we provide any recommendations.  

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zym
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

Thanks for the reply,  it should be discreet NIC installed on Supermicro server, do you suggest it might be the NIC broken?  Since it might take us some time to remove the card from server and provide photos.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zym,

Thank you very much for responding and advising. We are not yet able to determine if your NIC is broken however if your not able to remove the discreet NIC please provide us instead an SSU log so we can validate the card first and check your system as well.

Please follow the steps below to generate your SSU:

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

*Linux

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html?

2. Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Note: Please put a tick on "Everything" when scanning the log

4. You can attach the log on the thread

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zym
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid 

Here is SSU log attached, and Supermicro server has the X10DGQ mainboard. Maybe we can visit the site next week and try to check the markings of the NIC.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zym,

Thank you very much for providing us the information that we have asked. Please provide us some time to have this check. Is it okay if we can ask for you to provide us between 2-3 business days for this? If you have a preferred date instead please advise us. Thank you and have a nice day! 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zym,

We would like to ask some additional questions to further check on your concern, please provide the following;

1. Were you be able to boot from PXE previously or this happened from initial integration? 

2. As per checking on the SSU logs that you have provided, unfortunately your discreet NIC is not being detected as an adapter but as a controller thus we cannot determine if you are using a retail adapter or an OEM adapter. Can we ask for you to provide us a photo of the markings both front and back of your discreet NIC. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zym
Beginner

Hi

Thanks for checking the logs. We were able to PXE boot before , not sure why the issue happened. According to the SSU log analysis, NIC is not detected as adpater,  But we are able to see the NIC in the system as well as perform driver firmware update, which seems going quite OK. We will try to visit the lab soon and provide you the markings of the NIC, Thank you!

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zym,

Thank you very much for advising, we will await for the markings of your NIC. Is it ok if we can make a follow up between 2-3 business days for this or do you have a preferred follow up date so we can get in touch with you accordingly? Please do advise us. Thank you and have a nice day! 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zym,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to proceed checking your query. Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zym,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zym
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid 

Sorry for the late reply due to Easter holiday here, here comes the markings of the NIC.

0 Kudos